What's new

Kava Preparation Instant Kava dosage?

D

DarkOrb20

Hey,

Yesterday I had my first shell of Kava. I prepared it with Instant Kava from kavaeurope and I chose a dosage of 1 teaspoon for 200ml of water (as kavaeurope recommended such a dosage and many other websites said, that you should use 1-2 teaspoons per 200ml water).

What really confused me was the taste: People are reporting a taste that is very bad and hard to handle. For me though it tasted almost neutral (like water) with a slight earthy hint. My tea I used before to calm myself down (Made out of lemon balm, hops, valerian root and passion flower) tastet a thousand times worse. Also the liquid looked kinda watery and not milky as in the images of Kava shells i've seen before. Also my tongue and lips were not numb (maybe only slightly but only for a matter of a few seconds).

After a few minutes I felt some effects: A slight calming buzzing feeling (like when you can finally lay down in your warm and soft bed after a hard work day) and 2-3 times a wave of euphoria.

I'm not sure though if these were the effects of Kava or placebo. You should know that I'm the master of placebo. When I think I will feel a certain way, I will actually that way soon after. For example when I think that I will feel nauseous, I will actual feel nausea in a matter of seconds (that's why I felt slightly nauseous after drinking my shell but I'm sure that wasn't due to the Kava as my placebo-nausea und real-nausea feel different and in this case it was very mild and felt like my usual placebo-nausea). Or when somebody smokes weed near me, even when it's outdoor, the placebo effect will make me feel kinda high even though I know that you can't get high by standing 2 meters beside someone smoking weed, let alone outdoors.

So all in all: Do you think my shell was too weak, as it tasted and looked watery and didn't make my lips/tongue numb? Should I add a teaspoon or could that make it too strong (I want to avoid digestive issues)? I felt some effects but maybe it was just placebo...

All I know is, that the Instant Kava is some quality stuff as it is made by a popular manufacturer (Kavasociety).

Kind regards

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hey,

Yesterday I had my first shell of Kava. I prepared it with Instant Kava from kavaeurope and I chose a dosage of 1 teaspoon for 200ml of water (as kavaeurope recommended such a dosage and many other websites said, that you should use 1-2 teaspoons per 200ml water).

What really confused me was the taste: People are reporting a taste that is very bad and hard to handle. For me though it tasted almost neutral (like water) with a slight earthy hint. My tea I used before to calm myself down (Made out of lemon balm, hops, valerian root and passion flower) tastet a thousand times worse. Also the liquid looked kinda watery and not milky as in the images of Kava shells i've seen before. Also my tongue and lips were not numb (maybe only slightly but only for a matter of a few seconds).

After a few minutes I felt some effects: A slight calming buzzing feeling (like when you can finally lay down in your warm and soft bed after a hard work day) and 2-3 times a wave of euphoria.

I'm not sure though if these were the effects of Kava or placebo. You should know that I'm the master of placebo. When I think I will feel a certain way, I will actually that way soon after. For example when I think that I will feel nauseous, I will actual feel nausea in a matter of seconds (that's why I felt slightly nauseous after drinking my shell but I'm sure that wasn't due to the Kava as my placebo-nausea und real-nausea feel different and in this case it was very mild and felt like my usual placebo-nausea). Or when somebody smokes weed near me, even when it's outdoor, the placebo effect will make me feel kinda high even though I know that you can't get high by standing 2 meters beside someone smoking weed, let alone outdoors.

So all in all: Do you think my shell was too weak, as it tasted and looked watery and didn't make my lips/tongue numb? Should I add a teaspoon or could that make it too strong (I want to avoid digestive issues)? I felt some effects but maybe it was just placebo...

All I know is, that the Instant Kava is some quality stuff as it is made by a popular manufacturer (Kavasociety).

Kind regards
Howdy, welcome to kf...You need to try to mix 1-2 tablespoons instead with 200-300ml cold water, see how that goes, I bet you will feel it! I get what you are saying about placebo but the right kava, prepared correctly makes all the difference. Let us know it goes!

OzKava

The wonderful kava of Oz
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Hey,

Kind regards

If it was Kava Society Instant Green, then all you need is 3-5g in 150ml of water ('the shell) every 15 minutes or so until you reach your destination (your session). If you are prone to nausea then also have a few mouthfuls of soft drink after every shell. After each session you can review your dosage and time interval. Some kava drinkers have 10g (or more) in a single shell of 250ml of water or fruit juice, but it really depends upon your constitution. Best to take it slow until you hit the right dosage/interval that suits you.

Ozkava

KF approv - Forney logos with bowl 02-09-22.png

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
If it's the Instant Green, I'd be trying more. Most say they need very little of that one, but personally I need 2 tablespoons, not teaspoons, and it's still a mild buzz for me. But as ozkava says, depends on your constitution. keep inching up in small increments and see how you go, but generally the packet directions shoot a little low.