What's new

News Article Intellectual property

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Yeah, at the end of the day it's up to individual countries whether or not they ratify/adopt/follow these protocols. Until they write their own laws to address this stuff, they are under no obligations whatsoever.
It needs to be enforced on a country by country basis, it is within the best interest of each nation to protect the heritage of each kava and further protect the terroir for each of those kavas, in their respected countries of origin.

I don't know if the Vanuatu initiative is the best alternative for all other kava growing nations, by the sounds of it from Alia, it wouldn't matter much in the sense of Hawaiian kavas.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Frankly I do not like this new Vanuatu Law.
There is too much I, Me, Mine in it.
What about soil : strain inturaction. Just curious. I am quite agnostic about intellectual property because common scientist or artist probably does not benefit much from it or worse while industry cannot afford R&D without it.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
What about soil : strain inturaction. Just curious. I am quite agnostic about intellectual property because common scientist or artist probably does not benefit much from it or worse while industry cannot afford R&D without it.
In any case, at least for now, all this is a thought process...worth discussion but likely nothing is going to be legally agreed upon.
As I said, once the Codex has been sorted out, that is a form of intellectual property rights because each kava growing region
has their cultivars pre-determined already. As for the quality of a cultivar grown outside it's traditionally grown region, I believe
they would hold true to their set quality.