What's new

Interaction/ Klonopin & Kava

Newbie here with a serious question. I was “diagnosed “ with generalized anxiety disorder 30 plus years ago . The only medication that helped me was klonopin . Currently I take 1mg three times a day . For the past couple of years the medication seems like it’s lost it’s ability to help . I’ve also tried every Prozac related medication known with no relief. I was once on 8mg’s a day . My anxiety lately has been through the roof . Several panic attacks daily . No underlying issues. Can I take kava and klonopin at the same time ? I’m not looking to get high , stoned , etc . I’m looking for anxiety relief without being so dependent on klonopin. Anyone out there with a similar dilemma? NOTE : I still haven’t tried Kava . Hence the reason for this question.

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
Quick google dictates that Klonopin/clonazepam has moderate interactions with Kava; main things seem to be drowsiness and sedation however breathing issues and confusion are also possibilities.

The main reason i'm concerned is that I've almost found it quite hard to find any medicine that Kava interacts with so it's suprising that there's multiple resources on this in particular.

This is a case in which I would definitely talk to your Doc before trying it out.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Newbie here with a serious question. I was “diagnosed “ with generalized anxiety disorder 30 plus years ago . The only medication that helped me was klonopin . Currently I take 1mg three times a day . For the past couple of years the medication seems like it’s lost it’s ability to help . I’ve also tried every Prozac related medication known with no relief. I was once on 8mg’s a day . My anxiety lately has been through the roof . Several panic attacks daily . No underlying issues. Can I take kava and klonopin at the same time ? I’m not looking to get high , stoned , etc . I’m looking for anxiety relief without being so dependent on klonopin. Anyone out there with a similar dilemma? NOTE : I still haven’t tried Kava . Hence the reason for this question.
Having been a person that has had the same issues, I can certainly relate to the anxiety and panic about having the next anxiety/panic attack...it's a fucking nightmare and a shitty way to live.

The solution Is addressing the issues that give you anxiety in the 1st place you have to face your fears, it's the only way to get over it medication or kava will never fix it, it's a crutch.

Crutch for crutch, kava is less worse and not addictive. They can be taken together but I recommend letting your doctor know and if I were you I would taper off klonopin for good and look at therapy as your permanent solution.
The hardest part is the 1st phone call the rest gets easier with time.