What's new

Interesting Kava blog from Vanuatu...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
http://kavatimeagain.blogspot.com/
I'm not sure if this has been posted before ? It's a pretty interesting read for those interested in the local life around kava and nakamals in Vanuatu...written from the perspective of a peace corp volunteer or something. Also has a lot of nakamal reviews.

D

Deactivated Account

Shakas ive yet to try try Last Flight nakamal...heard good reports about it as mentioned here. Interesting he talks of the mobile phone issue...nakamals grow increasing more quiet as the night moves on & when you sitting in the dark silently listening to the kava, a mobile phone ring can be like a roof collapse !

D

Deactivated Account

I also learned the term "washem mouth/maot" or something to that effect, I did a little research and believe this is a pidgin expression, perhaps for "wash out the mouth"? I believe the washem is something that you want to have after the kava to avoid the taste in lieu of spitting . Also referenced spitting walls, which I do not know if it is literal or not. Also talked about kale-d or kale, and I can't figure out what that is either. @nemo is there any light you could shed on this? Either way, really great share @shakas .
Yep wasem is anything really but generally small food like a bit of pineapple or taro/ boiled egg. The ladies often sell it in one corner of the nakamal.

Not sure about kale but kakae just means any food (ive also heard it referenced to bite but that's pidgeon/bislama...it's a loose language) Every single nakamal has a spitting wall...it's where you take you shell to scoff down & spit the residue out. You would be seen as a tourist if you don't hack & spit like a camel. You see tourist arrive & they buy a shell, sit down & sip it like tea. A local usually always takes them to the wall to show them how it's done.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
" I have grown fond of a richer brew that bubbles when served, one that displays in an almost cocky manner a thin layer of swirling oil at the surface, at once welcoming and daring you to drink. "

^ This:smug:

D

Deactivated Account

I guess that clears up this section of the blog then, lol:

On Nakamal Etiquette
Spitting and hawking loogies: Perfectly acceptable.
Blowing snot-rockets: Perfectly acceptable.
Not washing hands after using the toilet: Perfectly acceptable.
Ratty clothes and dirty legs: Perfectly acceptable.
Tossing empty bottles on the ground: Perfectly acceptable.
Shaking uncontrollably and knocking things over: Perfectly acceptable.
Swearing: Encouraged.
Puking in front of others: Tolerated.

The shaking uncontrollably.. that seems odd. Perhaps not enough good ol' h2o?
Almost. They are places where manners still need to be used. Just that spitting can be done anywhere in them. I only spit at the wall or sitting but locals will often spit at the bar. The floors are always crushed coral & raked daily.

There is a lot of peace in a nakamal. If I'm at the serving area & someone older arrives I always let them in first & often pay for their shell in respect of seniority..hell it's only a dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.