What's new

Is 20-30g Instant Kava daily too much?

I'm consuming 20-30g Instant Kava daily for depression, social anxiety and coming off Phenibut and Javanica (K@). Is that too much?
What might be the dangers? Is there any risk of also getting withdrawal from kava at these doses?

I need these high doses to feel something. 10g+10g in the morning, then some days if the effects get lost I need to redose another 10g some hours later in the afternoon or evening... I don't want to get a withdrawal from Kava too. That's the reason why I'm using it to get off my 2x Phenibut weekly and daily Javanica/K@ habit. Because I heard it's not dependence forming. Until now it works good, but I really need these high doses of min. 20g to have success.

What do you think? I'm also really hoping for reverse tolerance to kick in so I won't need high doses like these anymore.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm consuming 20-30g Instant Kava daily for depression, social anxiety and coming off Phenibut and Javanica (K@). Is that too much?
"Too much" is designated by splitting flaking skin, sties, and lethargy. If you haven't seen these issues, then you're likely okay. If you start to see them, then it's necessary to reduce your dose down.

What might be the dangers? Is there any risk of also getting withdrawal from kava at these doses?
In all honesty the "dangers" of kava are about equal to the "dangers" of cannabis. If a 2 ton box of kava fell on you, you'd be harmed.

Drinking traditional kava at the rate of over 400g per week can cause increases in GGT levels in metabolic tests. This is NOT indicative of damage, it indicates adaptation as evidenced by the lack of change in AST/ALT values. We're really just isolated to the symptoms I mentioned above.

What do you think? I'm also really hoping for reverse tolerance to kick in so I won't need high doses like these anymore.
Reverse tolerance is an individual experience, and may or may not be that apparent depending on how your own metabolization enzymes express themselves.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor

I need these high doses to feel something. 10g+10g in the morning, then some days if the effects get lost I need to redose another 10g some hours later in the afternoon or evening... I don't want to get a withdrawal from Kava too. That's the reason why I'm using it to get off my 2x Phenibut weekly and daily Javanica/K@ habit. Because I heard it's not dependence forming. Until now it works good, but I really need these high doses of min. 20g to have success.

That's a normal amount to drink in one session. We have dosage tables on our site if you're interested.