What's new

Is 3 yr old Kava OK?

Paddy

Kava Curious
I started trying Kava in 2017. My experiences didn't go super great as I had hangover effects the next day with a couple of different brands. (see my previous posts) That plus life made me give up my quest for a bit.
I would like to start trying again. I have an opened bag of KHK pouni ono. It's sealed well with very little air in the bag. Is it still good? Any advice on prep for an older bag? Does anything change?
Thanks for all the help. This is one of the best places on the internet!

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Dried medium grind kava can probably lose potency over time. I don't have any specific scientific sources to back that claim; I'm mostly going off what I know about any dried substance we eat or otherwise partake in. This is where I wouldn't mind being wrong at all.

But dried kava, if kept dry and out of humid spaces, should still be safe to use. I have some old kavas that I've used and I haven't had any particularly bad experiences with them.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
I started trying Kava in 2017. My experiences didn't go super great as I had hangover effects the next day with a couple of different brands. (see my previous posts) That plus life made me give up my quest for a bit.
I would like to start trying again. I have an opened bag of KHK pouni ono. It's sealed well with very little air in the bag. Is it still good? Any advice on prep for an older bag? Does anything change?
Thanks for all the help. This is one of the best places on the internet!
Hey there! I wouldn't hesitate to drink it myself, and like @fait said, some people say kava loses potency over time, but I haven't really noticed any kavas losing potency. It's a dried product already so if it was sealed up in a dry, dark place, I think you're good to go.

Paddy

Kava Curious
Hey there! I wouldn't hesitate to drink it myself, and like @fait said, some people say kava loses potency over time, but I haven't really noticed any kavas losing potency. It's a dried product already so if it was sealed up in a dry, dark place, I think you're good to go.
From the ultimate source here! I appreciate you guys chiming in.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Not a problem if its sealed and in a cabinet. Four year old ghk bag felt same as when i first got it