What's new

Is anyone on the blood pressure med Amlodipine?

I wanted to drink some Kava, but just started this new blood pressure med and I can't find out if there are any interactions. My doc's old af and probably hasn't ever heard of kava, so I didn't bother asking. Is anyone on amlodipine and safely drinking kava on it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I wanted to drink some Kava, but just started this new blood pressure med and I can't find out if there are any interactions. My doc's old af and probably hasn't ever heard of kava, so I didn't bother asking. Is anyone on amlodipine and safely drinking kava on it?
This one is interesting. This drug has not so common pharmacological properties.

I pulled my information from this site: https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00381

This drug does have a grapefruit warning. The grapefruit warning is there when a drug may interact with grapefruit due to the fruit's ability to inhibit certain enzymatic pathways in the liver known as the CYP450 group. Kava, oddly enough, inhibits the same enzymes.

I see this drug has a massive half-life of 50 hours, so I'm not so sure how much longer kava could possibly make it, however they do suggest not consuming grapefruit while taking this drug. When a drug suggests against grapefruit, I also feel that applies to kava.

I wish I could give you first hand experience, but unfortunately this is all I can provide.