What's new

Is Kava Kava safe for someone to consume who is sensitive to GABAergic's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Fox

This is a question that I have never seen discussed on the internet anywhere through my research so far.

I am very interested in consuming some Kava root extract, but due to my history with alcohol I am somewhat apprehensive about doing so.

I have heard that kava is a GABAergic agonist like alcohol and benzo's, hence why It gives a similar sedating effect. I have experienced the kindling effect with alcohol first hand which Is why I haven't touched the stuff in years. At the end of my alcohol usage It would take me one or 2 days of drinking only to send me into an utterly worse withdrawal then when I would be drinking for months on end previously, which made it very apparent to me that through kindling I had got more and more sensitive to its effects on my nervous system. I couldn't sniff the stuff any more without having horrific consequences.

I know I will be sensitive for the rest of my life now as no amount of time seems to heal those particular burnt out receptors. So my question is, could consuming kava be dangerous for me in-particular due to my GABA(a) sensitivity? Is it a potent enough gabaergic agonist to cause a rebound problem? Or does it work in a different way to alcohol that I don't understand?

Many Thanks for your time.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
In short, yes. I am also very sensitive to gab genic drugs. I jest went off Benzos (valium) and am having no problems, using Kava to help with the withdrawals. Also I have used Kava to come off opiates. Kava works off the sodium Calcium channels, If that Makes any sense. Although Kavas mechanism of action, is not fully understood. Although its mechanism of action, is far different than Alcohol, or benzos. But, I have had no problems using kava, when My brain is very sensitive. As a matter of fact, I find Kava, and a few more herbs, to be the only safe alternative, when my Gaba is out of wack. Much Love Roaddog....

J.Fox

Thank you for the great reply, at last! :) I've posted similar questions elsewhere and I always get random answers that didn't really reference to what I'd ask! I was wandering what people's thought process was when hitting the reply button lol

After doing some further reading I have read quite a few cases just like yours, which is encouraging to know. It would be nice to have something to take the edge off during social situations so I am really looking forward to this. I am still going to proceed with caution and just see how I go, but I may as well give it a shot :) Also, I have read that it doesn't actually 'bind' to the receptor sites like alcohol, benzo's, barbs etc, but I don't really know what that means, but I am guessing that has something to do with Kava not being known to be physically addicting and producing withdrawals like the other things mentioned. The effects of this stuff, albeit used correctly seem to be to good to be true! You guys on here must really enjoy it and I'm happy for you all!

Peace Roaddog have a good day!

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Just a quick note, although kava likely interacts with the GABA system, we don't understand exactly how it does and it does not work like benzodiazepines or alcohol -- it is not addictive.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kava is really a different animal than alcohol, or benzos, although to some extent it can scratch the same itch, but it is much less harmful than either of those substances. For example, in addition to GABA, alcohol also has an effect on NMDA receptors, the same receptors effected by things like PCP and ketamine, which can have severe effects on memory (and sanity). Kava does not do that at all.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I've found that kava does have some residual effect on processing speed and I've felt some memory impact as well. Though working memory seems unaffected as I'm able to stay focused and on task at work despite my work generally being a profusion of varying micro-tasks carried out pretty constantly throughout the day. Even when I'm pretty foggy in the morning after a shell-too-far session. It's nowhere near as bad as a cannabis hangover which decimates my working memory, processing speed and even long term memory aside from giving me pretty marked anhedonia whiplash effect.

crawldown

There seems to be some research to suggest kava increases gaba receptor density, though, from what I've read, it does also bind to gaba (the gabapentin one, not the benzo one - forget if it is a or b). If true, this should actually be good for those burnt out receptors as it suggests upregulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.