What's new

Is the "K" word a bad word here ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
No, not Kava.
But another plant that starts with K, and is very similar in effects as Kava. It has 6 letters, with an M at the end and T in the middle.
I'm only speaking in code, because everyone else seems to, when they talk about this plant.
Which brings me to the question, whether there's a reason ?
Usually when I see people type out the word, it's masked or disguised somehow, such as "kr*t*m"
Is this because it's looked down upon by people here ?
It also seems like maybe they're trying to keep this site from coming up from internet searches for that word, hence the code, so maybe it's a good thing, as they're trying to protect it ?
Thoughts ?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No, not Kava.
But another plant that starts with K, and is very similar in effects as Kava. It has 6 letters, with an M at the end and T in the middle.
I'm only speaking in code, because everyone else seems to, when they talk about this plant.
Which brings me to the question, whether there's a reason ?
Usually when I see people type out the word, it's masked or disguised somehow, such as "kr*t*m"
Is this because it's looked down upon by people here ?
It also seems like maybe they're trying to keep this site from coming up from internet searches for that word, hence the code, so maybe it's a good thing, as they're trying to protect it ?
Thoughts ?
It's not so much because it's looked down (though some do), it's because this is a kava website. We allow discussion of the herb when it's in association with kava. For instance, if someone is making a transition from one to the other or they are w/d and need advice. Solo discussions about the plant are best posted somewhere else, like reddit or some other site. Certain words are automatically scrambled by us, however you can type K@, most of us (including myself) don't. I don't because of google bots that scan our site daily for keywords.

You can read more about it under "Member Guidelines", on the link below;
http://kavaforums.com/forum/KFGuidelines.pdf

ThePiper

Kava Lover
It was censored here but maybe that has been redacted. The reason i heard it was censored is so the forum wouldn't show up in a Google search for the other plant, leading to confusion. I have seen several instances where people had completely confused the two names due to similar names.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is correct. The original intent was to separate ourselves from that of the online "Kratosphere". As we've grown, filters were removed. Those that end up here searching for other words are potential kava drinkers all the same, so I do say welcome to them as well.

As for the krat, I have personal feelings towards the way it is currently portrayed and marketed by vendors, but the plant itself I have no issue with. It's serving a very important function for many people. I think where I split from the mainstream is that I think it absolutely should not be, and is irresponsible to be sold as recreational. Again, I've seen and can personally attest to it's powers to bring an opioid addicted person back to reality and allow them to quit completely. It's a super important herb, but it's just outside the focus of our forum here. We like to keep it strictly kava because we feel that's the most effective way of continuing to honor and respect the history, culture, and sanctity of Piper Methysticum.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, Kapm, but we don't promote any psychoactive "substances" here other than kava here, right? A herb that is not psychoactive, like maté is cool, but we wouldn't post something publicly which would appear to promote the use of kr@ or can o' piss or kanna or dagga or whatever.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, Kapm, but we don't promote any psychoactive "substances" here other than kava here, right? A herb that is not psychoactive, like maté is cool, but we wouldn't post something publicly which would appear to promote the use of kr@ or can o' piss or kanna or dagga or whatever.
Correct. We want to keep it focused on the good root. That and promote an atmosphere of respect. Talking about all sorts of psychoactives would, I feel, give it a bad vibe.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I just want to say I like the approach taken on this forum. It allows kava the space it needs to distinguish itself as a separate entity and bring its own value. While there is some overlap in users and uses they are distinct plants with very different active compounds. There are plenty of forums and places to read up on K@ and discuss that plant and its uses and possible abuses. I liken it to allowing my twin daughters the space they need to become their own person. They may still share the same things but are distinctly different.

Joannerd

Kava Curious
I like the kava culture so far, I’m kind of glad you have this rule. I have used the other plant, but I agree talking about other psychoactive substances can generate a different vibe. I like how kava is medicinal as well as spiritual

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I had no intention of starting a discussion strictly about krat, but wanted to know if the question or discussion involved both kava and krat, and tied them together in the thread, would that be ok ?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I had no intention of starting a discussion strictly about krat, but wanted to know if the question or discussion involved both kava and krat, and tied them together in the thread, would that be ok ?
I ask that you carefully consider whether it can be viewed as promotion for that alternative herb. There is an exclusion for those using kava to help with tension during withdrawal of physically addictive substances. Those substances definitely should be mentioned as the substance can speak to the type of advice that members may give.

A post would most likely be moderated if it were to contain a detailed story of how someone used K@ for opioid withdrawal with a mention of how kava helped the anxiety at the end. In fact, it would be a disservice to allow such a thread here as people who frequent other forums more squarely focused on K@ would be missing extremely valuable information.

Basically, is it promoting kava? That's the core question the moderators and I look for in posts that have mention of other substances.