What's new

Is the micronized worth it

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
Very new to kava here. I️ have a sampler from Kalm on the way, some mahakea from GHK and potentially some micronized Loa Waka if I’m green lighted here. Like I️ said I’m very new to this but am wondering what others have to say about the convenience of micronized and if it’s worth it. Also, is the aluball as effective, or can it be as effective as using a bag?

Myk

Kava Enthusiast
Mostly the advantage of micro is convenience , stir it into anything and gulp and your done. It's also easier to mask the taste for new kava drinkers. As far as strength in my experience the strongest kava I've made is medium ground slowly heated to just below boiling but be aware that making kava that way makes it taste even worse. As a beginner reverse tolerance is very common so it can take a few attempts before you feel effects and the effects of kava are subtle. I would recommend starting with a lower dose the first few times and just relax and note any slight effects listen to the kava . Once you feel something then you can go for the full effects of a strong dose. The Aluball rocks and is my go to method for daily shells on special occasions like holidays or a rare Kava find I will do the traditional kneading.

The Pizzabaker

Kava Curious
Hi,
improves milk intake or other fatty liquids the admission with/from microkava.Or helps that only by medium grind and its
superfluous by micro kava?
Thanks and sorry for my english , it is not my motherlangue.

The Pizzabaker

Kava Curious
Thanks ,
I thought so, thanks
And the Problem with english is only with speak and scribe because the time forms.
Reading is not so difficult.
Ok , so i can also take 3-4 fishoil caps to my kava kava or some coconut oil?its faster in
digestion and it is healthier than milk fat or is the lecithin essential?

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
None of it is essential. They will enhance the experience though. You don't need to use lecithin. Any fat will do. Technically with lecithin I would still use fat in the diet with the kava

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
I find micronized to be more heavy even if it’s a heady verity. It has to be traditional prep if I try for heady.

If I am feeling wealthy lol I can get a good heady verity that is a true instant, but it takes WAY to much. Something is lost in translation when drying...

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
Microionized you will feel it more than you would with traditional grind. That stuff is potent. That is my experience anyway. It is very convenient, but it can also be a bit tough on the stomach. I can't stand the texture of it going down the throat so I stick to my medium grind Borogu with the Aluball.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Very new to kava here. I️ have a sampler from Kalm on the way, some mahakea from GHK and potentially some micronized Loa Waka if I’m green lighted here. Like I️ said I’m very new to this but am wondering what others have to say about the convenience of micronized and if it’s worth it. Also, is the aluball as effective, or can it be as effective as using a bag?
Being new to kava micronized is very convenient. It will allow you to slowly, and with better degree of control, change how much kava you are ingesting to find your sweet spot. It is how I started my kava journey and I don't regret it. That said most long term users will drift towards using medium grind and more traditional prep for a variety of reasons. Less impact on your skin, better taste, ritual, less cost. So once you have used micronized for a bit and would like to stick with drinking kava don't be afraid of switching the aluball or a bag. One can make very strong grog from both. Don't fret too much about the method they are all good. Traditional prep with a bag is easier than it sounds.

azntaiji

Zach
The only thing to be careful with micronized is that in my experience, it causes dermopathy much quicker than traditional medium grind. I’m assuming it’s because micronized includes all the bits (that you would normally strain out), just ground up.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Micronized is not great. It often still has coarse fibers and your gut will not appreciate it. That being said, from time to time it can be very nice - particularly the stuff from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava .

Traditional Prep over AluBall is the way to go. AluBall can be convenient but it does something weird to the Kava that has always turned me off.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
Micro can be a good way to introduce yourself to kava and can serve as an occasional convenience but it is definitely not a suitable substitute for medium grind.

You will get a lot of resistance to the aluball on here, but I love mine and use it a couple times a day. It's a great middle ground between micro or instant and traditional prep.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Micronized is not great. It often still has coarse fibers and your gut will not appreciate it. That being said, from time to time it can be very nice - particularly the stuff from @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava .

Traditional Prep over AluBall is the way to go. AluBall can be convenient but it does something weird to the Kava that has always turned me off.
I suggest to all newcomers to basically get some good quality Instant or Noble, avoid extracts, don’t waste time with Capsules, and I never encourage micronized.

I’ve never had it myself as I do have a very sensitive tummy system, but with instant and top Noble available, I don’t see the real need or justification to put that extra stress on even a very strong, well functioning digestive system.