What's new

is this a 'normal' overindulgence symptom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalisa

hey guys, I've been enjoying kava for a year now..a few days per week. Ive felt nausea before, but last night I ended up with big, inconsolable chills, and vomiting. had 4 1/2 shells... not a whole lot more than my usual 2or 3.
Any idea if this is a sign of liver toxicity, and if so, what have you found to be good ways to rebuild health?
sad to stop kava when ive been restricting alcohol to close to zero:'(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
hey guys, I've been enjoying kava for a year now..a few days per week. Ive felt nausea before, but last night I ended up with big, inconsolable chills, and vomiting. had 4 1/2 shells... not a whole lot more than my usual 2or 3.
Any idea if this is a sign of liver toxicity, and if so, what have you found to be good ways to rebuild health?
Highly unlikely. I have to thank the FDA for many kava drinkers first thought being "My liver..!" when they experience something negative from what seems to be kava. You're more likely to be injured in a lightning strike than you are to sustain liver injury due to traditional kava (less than 1 in 1,000,000 daily doses. Or as close to zero as you can get). Figures according to the National Institute of Health show all liver injuries recorded were extracts and combined with other medications and herbal supplements. If you're positive you've somehow done something negative to your liver with kava or things...other, go on over to GNC or Amazon and pick up an NAC supplement and Milk Thistle. If you drink alcohol at all, it's not a bad idea anyways.

It's possible that extra kava was just too much, and your body said "NOPE!". I've certainly been there. I've also gotten food poisoning from some fried chicken that I thought "hey...could this be the kava?". The fever told me "no...indeed it is not". So be weary of illnesses you may normally get that overlap with your kava usage. Not saying that's what happened here, it just happens frequently.

One more thing, could you share the vendor, type, and amount you're normally drinking? It would help us pinpoint the issue.

Also, welcome! I hope we can give you at least some peace of mind.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Dido. Everything that @Kapmcrunk said.
Kava can give you nausea, that will exacerbate nausea you already have from something else and so make it seem like it is from the kava. The straw that broke the camels back is not what broke the camels back. It's all the other shit before it

If you usually have 2, then 4 1/2 is more than twice your normal amount. I would lay off the kava for at least a week and then have your usual amount and see how that goes. It may be that you just too much for what your body is accustomed and can handle.

P.S. Here are the signs of liver toxicity. If you are concerned you can always have some bloodwork done. It's always better to be safe than sorry, especially where the liver is involved, IMO.

• Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
  • Itching
  • Abdominal pain in the upper right portion of the abdomen
  • Fatigue
  • Loss of appetite
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Rash
  • Fever
  • Weight loss
  • Dark or tea-colored urine

Status
Not open for further replies.