What's new

Is this kava effect, a reason for concern ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Recently I started getting frequent muscle twitches, and even beyond twitches, to muscle jerks, as a result of the kava.
I am certain the kava is causing it because the presence and severity of the twitches and jerks, are in direct relation to how recently I had the kava.
Like immediately after the kava, that effect is most extreme, and then gradually dies down, and is practically gone immediately before my next kava.

And it's consistent like that. The twitches are completely random, and all over the body. Mostly my extremities.
Just to give an idea, once the muscle jerk was so strong, it made me spill my kava.

Strange thing is I've drank kava consistently for several years, and never had it happen like this.
But it just suddenly started happening, and frequently. I wonder why it's happening now, and what can be done about it.
I mean, other than taking a break, can this effect be reduced ? I always have used good noble kava, and usually stick to about 2 or 3 vendors,
and sometimes just 1 vendor, but could it be alleviated by changing the kava source ?

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Recently I started getting frequent muscle twitches, and even beyond twitches, to muscle jerks, as a result of the kava.
I am certain the kava is causing it because the presence and severity of the twitches and jerks, are in direct relation to how recently I had the kava.
Like immediately after the kava, that effect is most extreme, and then gradually dies down, and is practically gone immediately before my next kava.

And it's consistent like that. The twitches are completely random, and all over the body. Mostly my extremities.
Just to give an idea, once the muscle jerk was so strong, it made me spill my kava.

Strange thing is I've drank kava consistently for several years, and never had it happen like this.
But it just suddenly started happening, and frequently. I wonder why it's happening now, and what can be done about it.
I mean, other than taking a break, can this effect be reduced ? I always have used good noble kava, and usually stick to about 2 or 3 vendors,
and sometimes just 1 vendor, but could it be alleviated by changing the kava source ?
I am no expert, but I do have medical knowledge being a former paramedic with a 4 year degree in the appropriate field. I have never heard of anyone having issues like this using kava. Further, the information that you are begging for What is your diet like (I always ask because people never think about their eating habits and what unproper nutrition does to the body)? Do you have any underlying medical issues? What other medications are you taking? What vendors are you using? Are they just spasms or full on cramps? How often do you drink kava? How much kava do you drink? Are you drinking any alcohol? If so, are you drinking it when you drink kava? Did you formerly drink alcohol?

You are not giving enough information to paint a complete picture. We cannot see you, we cannot touch you. And what you are describing could be one of about a hundred issues.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I am no expert, but I do have medical knowledge being a former paramedic with a 4 year degree in the appropriate field. I have never heard of anyone having issues like this using kava. Further, the information that you are begging for What is your diet like (I always ask because people never think about their eating habits and what unproper nutrition does to the body)? Do you have any underlying medical issues? What other medications are you taking? What vendors are you using? Are they just spasms or full on cramps? How often do you drink kava? How much kava do you drink? Are you drinking any alcohol?

You are not giving enough information to paint a complete picture. We cannot see you, we cannot touch you. And what you are describing could be one of about a hundred issues.
Bless you, Papa. I may end up copying and pasting this response in the future. One thing to add to your list of questions "Do you take K@?". I can't tell you how many kava "issues" I've tried to help people with (and this mainly occurs on reddit) that I end up discovering they've been taking K@ the entire time without mentioning it.

You're not wrong @Plantacious. It's just hard for us to answer these really specific health questions when, just like @PapaCthulu said, "We cannot see you, we cannot touch you. And what you are describing could be one of about a hundred issues." This is the honest truth, and this is what I tell people regularly when little aches and pains crop up while they're drinking kava. Could be related to kava, or could be related to well...anything.

PapaCthulu

Kava Lover
Bless you, Papa. I may end up copying and pasting this response in the future. One thing to add to your list of questions "Do you take K@?". I can't tell you how many kava "issues" I've tried to help people with (and this mainly occurs on reddit) that I end up discovering they've been taking K@ the entire time without mentioning it.

You're not wrong @Plantacious. It's just hard for us to answer these really specific health questions when, just like @PapaCthulu said, "We cannot see you, we cannot touch you. And what you are describing could be one of about a hundred issues." This is the honest truth, and this is what I tell people regularly when little aches and pains crop up while they're drinking kava. Could be related to kava, or could be related to well...anything.
@Plantacious Also, be honest. None of us know you or judge you. What you describe to us might expand our knowledge base.

goodtimecharlie

Kava Curious
same thing happened to me with one particular brand. My arm was twitching all night and it was concerning. Never experienced it again though and still drink kava. PM me if you want to know the vendor..curious if it was the one you used. I am alive and kicking though and never encountered it again ( after staying away from that brand). I am sure you are ok, but if issue persists, seek medical advice.

Valyn

Kava Curious
You would have to be certain there are not any other substances in your system to say it is kava.

I've gotten some minor muscle twitches but they were rather pleasant from kava. However, I am taking gabapentin and diazepam, so I will never really know what is causing them.

Some vendors and cultivars do not cause them whatsoever.