What's new

Is two to three shells a day too much?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I've been drinking two shells a day for a few months now. Well, I use two aluballs for 250mls of water and do that twice so equivalent of 5-6 tablespoons. I've been in a better mood and it keeps me level headed, and I also like the mood boost. On the weekends I may get squirrely and have a third, but never go too far overboard. I have had no side effects not even dry skin. Wife is getting on to me about it and thinks i'm becoming addicted to it, which honestly, I am. I love kava! This stuff is wonderful! Anyways do i need to cut back?

kw2292

Kava Curious
That’s been my routined. This is my third stint of daily usage each lasting around a year with a few months off in between each time. I have 3 shells or about 15-20g of dry powder worth per day.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I've been drinking two shells a day for a few months now. Well, I use two aluballs for 250mls of water and do that twice so equivalent of 5-6 tablespoons. I've been in a better mood and it keeps me level headed, and I also like the mood boost. On the weekends I may get squirrely and have a third, but never go too far overboard. I have had no side effects not even dry skin. Wife is getting on to me about it and thinks i'm becoming addicted to it, which honestly, I am. I love kava! This stuff is wonderful! Anyways do i need to cut back?

Tell her it's not an addiction, but a need, due to a deficiency in your system.
It's called KDS.
Kava Deficiency Syndrome ;)

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor

2-3 shells a day is far from "needing to cut back"
That is actually pretty good compared to some people I know (including myself) lol
Your fine! Take as much as your stomach and body can handle.. Don't over do it;)
when you get sick and or feel too lazy to do anything the next day thennn maybe it'll be time to cut back. lol
Take it slow and enjoy!:cool:

Rami MeloMelo

Berkeley, CA
Kava Vendor
We have people drinking 64oz everyday. Do I recommend it? No. Listen to your body. I like to take breaks every few weeks, sometime I go hard in the mud and sometimes I'll just dabble. That's like asking a coffee drinker how many cups of coffee they have in a day, some will say 2, some will say 7. Do whatever makes you feel good, during and after.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Two to three shells is an aperitif!

As mentioned above a few times it's less to do with how many shells so much as total root used and you're not overdoing it.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
When I drink Kava, it is mostly 30-40g. I consume in a way to maximize the effects. So no sipping. After it is over, i usually don't have any motivation to drink more. It's also usually time to end the day. I've had periods where i drank Kava almost daily and there are no sideeffects. After some time of regular use, i might feel a bit less energetic during the day and then i stop for a while. I think Kava can be psychologically addictive, but for me personally its in a category with coffee...just way way way more expensive.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Yah it depends on how strong u make ur kava etc. Addiction is an interesting thing because an addictive personality can go from alcohol to exercise with the same tendencies. If youre worried about it at all, have kava for 3 months then do a month off. With the addition of letting yourself cheat if u have a major stressor and it would honesy help. Other than that, a normal continued use of 3 shells per day is fine. Personally i do 3 months on and 3 off method to give my system a break from anything im doing. When i get into something though im all in so it tends to be good for me.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
No. Also, no!

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Yah it depends on how strong u make ur kava etc. Addiction is an interesting thing because an addictive personality can go from alcohol to exercise with the same tendencies. If youre worried about it at all, have kava for 3 months then do a month off. With the addition of letting yourself cheat if u have a major stressor and it would honesy help. Other than that, a normal continued use of 3 shells per day is fine. Personally i do 3 months on and 3 off method to give my system a break from anything im doing. When i get into something though im all in so it tends to be good for me.
I think this is good advice. You need to find your center. It is very beneficial to have periods of time where you reconnect with who you are without external substances (other than necessary nutrition).

Jacob Bula

Nobody
@Artofkava

You do 3 months on 3 months off? I'm looking for some kind of schedule that incorporates breaks. I LOVE kava, but do to my addictive personality I seem to over do it. I already do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, but would like to give your method a go. I might try 3 months on 3 months off, with the on months still being 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, if that makes any sense... I just get extreme lethargy during the day when I drink kava, but I love it so much-- a very yin / yang relationship. Kava has also helped me quit alcohol entirely. Haven't had a drink since 2019, so I'm very grateful for that.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
@Artofkava

You do 3 months on 3 months off? I'm looking for some kind of schedule that incorporates breaks. I LOVE kava, but do to my addictive personality I seem to over do it. I already do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, but would like to give your method a go. I might try 3 months on 3 months off, with the on months still being 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, if that makes any sense... I just get extreme lethargy during the day when I drink kava, but I love it so much-- a very yin / yang relationship. Kava has also helped me quit alcohol entirely. Haven't had a drink since 2019, so I'm very grateful for that.
Oh thats awesome that kava has helped you so much ! yah that does make sense. It's not a hard and fast rule when I do it. If im pretty overwhelmed or something I might make a bit but itll be much less often. Plus I have to taste etc when we get new products. It's like anything else, your body needs a rest from things we do every day.