What's new

Kava Botany Isa Is Not Hawaiian Kava!

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, I wanted to take this time to let everyone a bit about Hawaiian 'Awa or kava. I do not want to make this post about if Isa is good or if we should or should not drink Isa. I want to make it understood to those that are new to kava so that they do not drink a tudei kava thinking it is regular kava, the purpose of this post is to let the new ones know that Isa comes from Papua New Guinea and it is a tudei kava not Noble like "Pure Hawaiian" 'Awa.
Hawaii has 13 varieties of kava,
1. Moi
2. Mahakea
3. Nene
4. Hiwa
5. Papa Ele ele
6. Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu
7. Panaewa
8. Hanakapi Ai
9. Honokane Iki
10. Kumakua
11. Mapulehu
12. Papa Kea
13. Opihikao
There are other varieties of kava that are grown in Hawaii like Isa, Boroguru, and several others from other islands other than Hawaii but that does not mean that they are Hawaiian, they are Hawaii grown but they are not Hawaiian kava.
I am saying all of this because Nakamal at Home is now selling Hawaiian kava and they are saying there Hawaiian kava is Isa, since they call Isa, Hawaiian kava I did not want people who are new to kava to mistakenly buy Hawaii grown Isa thinking they got a real Hawaiian kava.
This is what they are saying about Isa direct from there website---"
Hawaiian Isa Kava

Hawaiian 'Awa maximum Potency Ceremonial and Weekend Grade Kava
Our Hawaiian variety of kava is sold under the label of Hawaiian 'AWA. It is the only kava we offer that is grown in the United States. This Hawaiian kava is the infamous Isa variety and it is extremely potent. Isa is a variety of kava originating in Papua New Guine. At some point it found it's way to Hawaii and grown as a ceremonial or weekend grade kava. The natives found it too strong to drink everyday. We cannot be held responsible if you sleep through work the next day after drinking this kava. Don't say we didn't warn you!
The taste of Hawaiian 'AWA kava is extremely pungent and dark. It may look like dark chocolate but we assure you it does not taste like it. It has a very earthy and spicy taste that is reminiscent of ginger root with peppery overtones and hints of mulch. "

Again this is just for information, this is not a debate about Isa or tudei kava, there is plenty of information about that. I am not dissing Nakamal at Home, it is up to them if they want to sell Isa, I just want to clear up the entire Hawaiian kava Isa thing, it may be Hawaii grown but it is NOT Hawaiian 'Awa. So remember if you want Hawaiian kava just look at the list above and you will see all the Hawaiian kava that is grown. Ask for it by name so you know what your getting.
Drink kava, enjoy kava and know what your drinking. Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
Nice informational post! I firmly believe that all types of Kavas should be allowed for purchase....With that said I always worry about someone purchasing an ISA or tudei not understanding what it is thus giving Kava a bad reputation, which lies my issue.

There’s enough bad publicity out there as it is. It also seems that most governments rather outright ban and inact laws then putting any effort towards legitimate research of said plant/substance but that’s neither here or there. Keep up the good work!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I don't like that they're trying to pitch it as Hawaiian kava. Simple fix, I'd be completely okay with it, if it was labeled as "Hawaiian Grown Isa". I don't think I'm being too much of stickler when I say that. The other thing I have a problem with, is that they're charging $60 for it, which is more expensive than all their other noble kavas, which have to get imported from Vanuatu(and Solomon Islands).

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone, I wanted to take this time to let everyone a bit about Hawaiian 'Awa or kava. I do not want to make this post about if Isa is good or if we should or should not drink Isa. I want to make it understood to those that are new to kava so that they do not drink a tudei kava thinking it is regular kava, the purpose of this post is to let the new ones know that Isa comes from Papua New Guinea and it is a tudei kava not Noble like "Pure Hawaiian" 'Awa.
Hawaii has 13 varieties of kava,
1. Moi
2. Mahakea
3. Nene
4. Hiwa
5. Papa Ele ele
6. Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu
7. Panaewa
8. Hanakapi Ai
9. Honokane Iki
10. Kumakua
11. Mapulehu
12. Papa Kea
13. Opihikao
There are other varieties of kava that are grown in Hawaii like Isa, Boroguru, and several others from other islands other than Hawaii but that does not mean that they are Hawaiian, they are Hawaii grown but they are not Hawaiian kava.
I am saying all of this because Nakamal at Home is now selling Hawaiian kava and they are saying there Hawaiian kava is Isa, since they call Isa, Hawaiian kava I did not want people who are new to kava to mistakenly buy Hawaii grown Isa thinking they got a real Hawaiian kava.
This is what they are saying about Isa direct from there website---"
Hawaiian Isa Kava

Hawaiian 'Awa maximum Potency Ceremonial and Weekend Grade Kava
Our Hawaiian variety of kava is sold under the label of Hawaiian 'AWA. It is the only kava we offer that is grown in the United States. This Hawaiian kava is the infamous Isa variety and it is extremely potent. Isa is a variety of kava originating in Papua New Guine. At some point it found it's way to Hawaii and grown as a ceremonial or weekend grade kava. The natives found it too strong to drink everyday. We cannot be held responsible if you sleep through work the next day after drinking this kava. Don't say we didn't warn you!
The taste of Hawaiian 'AWA kava is extremely pungent and dark. It may look like dark chocolate but we assure you it does not taste like it. It has a very earthy and spicy taste that is reminiscent of ginger root with peppery overtones and hints of mulch. "

Again this is just for information, this is not a debate about Isa or tudei kava, there is plenty of information about that. I am not dissing Nakamal at Home, it is up to them if they want to sell Isa, I just want to clear up the entire Hawaiian kava Isa thing, it may be Hawaii grown but it is NOT Hawaiian 'Awa. So remember if you want Hawaiian kava just look at the list above and you will see all the Hawaiian kava that is grown. Ask for it by name so you know what your getting.
Drink kava, enjoy kava and know what your drinking. Aloha nui loa.

Chris
Nice post Chris, also note the Ad quote says, (regarding Isa)- "At some point it found it's way to Hawaii and grown as a ceremonial or weekend grade kava. The natives found it too strong to drink everyday". This implies to me- "Natives" as in per-western contact Hawaiian folks? So the take-away could be that Isa came here long, long ago...which it did not (mid-80's).

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In all seriousness though, if anyone does buy it, please be careful and don't be dumb like me and drink it every day like I did. Tudei kava causes side effects very quickly even at low doses. 3 tablespoons micronized per day for a few months of daily use is what it took to make the skin bleeding thing happen.

Last edited:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I don't like that they're trying to pitch it as Hawaiian kava. Simple fix, I'd be completely okay with it, if it was labeled as "Hawaiian Grown Isa". I don't think I'm being too much of stickler when I say that. The other thing I have a problem with, is that they're charging $60 for it, which is more expensive than all their other noble kavas, which have to get imported from Vanuatu(and Solomon Islands).
I basically agree. The description is pretty clear about what effects to expect. They are not trying to claim it is noble. But they really do have a lot of nerve slapping a "Hawaiian Awa" label on this stuff, even if that is just their "brand" or whatever...But, I do also object to touting it as "stronger" when what it really is is "more sedating and longer acting"... If the kavalactone content is very high it would be OK to say it is stronger, but if it is low or average, a higher percentage of DHM does not a stronger kava make...