What's new

"Island Dope"

Cameron

Kava Curious
Well, while looking through the facebook kava groups I came across a brand of kava called "Island Dope." I am under the assumption that "dope" is a bad thing. I don't judge people who use drugs, but that really sheds a bad light on kava. Is there anything we as a community could do? Like perhaps persuade the vendor to change the name? I just feel it is very important to give kava a good reputation. The last thing we need is for the public to equate kava with "dope."

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Well, while looking through the facebook kava groups I came across a brand of kava called "Island Dope." I am under the assumption that "dope" is a bad thing. I don't judge people who use drugs, but that really sheds a bad light on kava. Is there anything we as a community could do? Like perhaps persuade the vendor to change the name? I just feel it is very important to give kava a good reputation. The last thing we need is for the public to equate kava with "dope."
I've seen this exact one. It's by the vendor "Pure Kava". I've voiced my disagreement with the name every time it comes up on facebook.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
To be honest they all pale in comparison to the Kava Forums. Really, the way those groups come across it is a hard to put. It’s like hit and run. No real discussion. Just posts about getting krunked and lots and lots of ads.
In my limited experience they all end up being endlessly spammed by kava bars posting about whatever event they're hosting that week.
There should be less of that these days since the virus has caused them to close down, and at most, they can only do take-out orders

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Not just the name gives us pause...they claim a really high KL% with questionable COAs:
https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/26-kavalactones.15875/

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
This is insane. Why don't they call it "Pacific booze" or something? Wouldn't be much worse.

A long time ago I came to the conclusion that there are two kinds of kava consuming people. Those who just mindlessly drink to get krunk as fast and strong as possible, and those who incorporated the root into their way of living, thinking and feeling. I am glad that Kavaforums promotes the latter category.

Last edited:

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Gotta also remember that "dope" means something completely different these days, than it did when a lot of people were growing up.
In Fijian slang, someone heavily under the influence of kava is said to be "grog doped", or simply "doped". Dope or doped are not used in any other context here, so there are no negative connotations beyond inebriation.

Last edited:

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
I am still very new to kava myself but I have to admit that I am rather partial to "krunk" or "krunked".

I think because it is so particular to kava itself and less generic and some of the other terms more widely used for intoxication level.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've got some IsLaNd DoPe :rolleyes: headed my way this week, so I'll finally get to see what's up with this stuff.
I figured a hard-head should have a go at it, and give it some detailed scrutiny. ::chugger::

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've got some IsLaNd DoPe :rolleyes: headed my way this week, so I'll finally get to see what's up with this stuff.
I figured a hard-head should have a go at it, and give it some detailed scrutiny. ::chugger::
Any updates Shakas? Or did I miss the thread somewhere else? :wacky:

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Any updates Shakas? Or did I miss the thread somewhere else? :wacky:
Yeah, I got a 4 bag sampler; Island Dope, Premium Fiji, Traditional Fiji & Tongan. I tried the Island Dope first, smelled great, seemed promising. But it ended up being a very run-of-the-mill experience. It's fine and totally normal kava, but it's actually a very mild root with subtle effects that never grow into anything noteworthy. I put it on the level with something like Wakacon or Tikaram's, more like a budget kava than "Max Strength", though it did seem to be processed pretty cleanly and very finely ground. Not worth the price they charge for it, that's for sure!

The Traditional Fiji and Premium Fiji were both similar to each other and very similar to the Island Dope. So not much to write about there.
Surprisingly, the Tongan was the most enjoyable of the group, slightly more noticeable effects and pleasant. The most stand-out feature was the scent of the dry powder (Tongan), it smelled like that jalapeno infused cheese dip that you'd get with nachos at the movie theater.