What's new

Itchy rash

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
So I drank kava Friday Saturday and Sunday and Thursday and mostly today I have come out in an horrendous rash all over my body. I have only been taking kava for a couple weeks.
I have read Toss and wash is most likely to cause this? What exactly is toss and wash? have been drinking micronized kava and med grind kneaded through nylon stockings.
I must add that on Sunday I took a couple kava capsules after drinking kava all day and ended up pretty krunked. I wonder if these capsules are to blame? It's taken 4 days to come out in a rash though.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
The condition you are referring to is called dermopathy. Toss n wash is when you mix the root material in water and just gulp it down bypassing any straining methods. Drinking micronized Kava that is mixed straight into water is in a sense toss n wash but you did mention straining that too. I'd personally recommend taking a break from kava till the condition goes away and most likely staying away from any pill forms of kava.

I've experienced dermo only once and I'm a daily drinker for the most part. Generally dermo is mostly associated to ingesting too much root material but you may still get it regardless. I'm not sure of the micron rating of nylon stockings is but it may be possible too much material is getting through, especially with such a fine grind as micro.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
There's a small fraction of people who legitimately get an allergic rash from kava, one that's different from dermopathy, which most long term drinkers will usually experience.

It's quite unlikely to acquire true dermopathy after only just starting kava for the first time a couple weeks ago. It is true that micronized kava will bring it on faster in most people, especially if you're dosing high and regularly, but it still seems a bit fast for someone who just started.

Without more details, I'd guess it's an allergic rash. But perhaps you are super sensitive to the typical kava dermopathy.

D

Deleted User01

You know, if I was anywhere but the Kava forum, and someone came up to me and said, "I have an unidentified red itchy scatchy rash", I would say, "Well get the hell away from me" and then I would run to the hills and run for my life. Perhaps this song would be playing in the background. I'm just sayin ...

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. I feel absolutely dreadful got a middle ear imbalance and vertigo now and massive glands swollen on the back of my head and laid up in bed along with the rash :( don't think they are connected but might have picked up virus from being run down.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
There's a small fraction of people who legitimately get an allergic rash from kava, one that's different from dermopathy, which most long term drinkers will usually experience.

It's quite unlikely to acquire true dermopathy after only just starting kava for the first time a couple weeks ago. It is true that micronized kava will bring it on faster in most people, especially if you're dosing high and regularly, but it still seems a bit fast for someone who just started.

Without more details, I'd guess it's an allergic rash. But perhaps you are super sensitive to the typical kava dermopathy.
Hey Shakas, I like the new avatar, the power of 2 shells, lol. Throwing them back.. to back!

r45t4m4n

Kava Curious
I had the rash problem a few times when i began drinking kava, it eventually goes away, I no longer get a rash anymore, guess a tolerance needs to be built up.