What's new

Itchy skin

PurplePanda999

Kava Curious
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get rid of the itchy skin that sometimes accompanies Kava use? It seems I can use Kava for 2 days without much itchiness. Today is the 3rd day in a row that I've used Kava and I am not only itchy all over, but I seem to have hives in back of my ears. I've just taken some Benadryl, but it makes me sleepy and I can't take it during the day. Will Zyrtec help?

What kinds of lotions help? Can you recommend any specific brand names?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
What sort of kava are you using?

Hives are almost certainly an indication of some kind of allergic reaction. In this case I would absolutely stop using kava until you can determine what is going on. It may be an indication of some kind of contamination of the kava, or that you are allergic to kava itself.

Long-term kava use can result in dermopathy (itchy and flaky skin) but 3 days in a row is unlikely to cause this.

PurplePanda999

Kava Curious

Hives are almost certainly an indication of some kind of allergic reaction. In this case I would absolutely stop using kava until you can determine what is going on. It may be an indication of some kind of contamination of the kava, or that you are allergic to kava itself.

Long-term kava use can result in dermopathy (itchy and flaky skin) but 3 days in a row is unlikely to cause this.
Actually, I need to clarify. I've been using Kava for a few weeks; not every day, but almost. I read where you should take two days off every two weeks, so I skipped Sunday and Monday. Then I used Kava Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Not sure if that makes a difference.

PurplePanda999

Kava Curious

I've been using a couple different instant Kavas.