What's new

Just how safe and non-toxic is it, to use those leg stockings to strain ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I have never actually tried this common practice of using ladies' stockings or hose as a strainer.
I always was hesitant because I had a hard time wrapping my head around (figuratively speaking) the safety of something that might leach out dangerous chemicals into something we consume.

I probably am more concerned about it, than most people, because I am super conservative when it comes to avoiding toxins entering my body.
All I can think of is the fact that those hose are probably coated with some type of chemical, whether it's color dyes, or something else.
And the warm water involved in prep, combined with the agitated agitation, might possibly leach those chemicals into the beverage and have adverse effects on one's health.

I'm sure many people will probably say, that people have been doing it long enough, that if there was an issue, that they would know it by now.
But I also think along the lines of something that could accumulate over a period of time and heavy usage, and not show up as a health condition until much later.
Or perhaps have an undiagnosed health condition that unknowingly came as a result of it.
So, what are everyone's thoughts on how safe and non-toxic it is ?
And what, if anything, can one do to ensure more safety ?

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I don't think nylon itself is toxic, because it's used in a variety of food safe applications. The dyes and additives could be. I use panty hose, if I need some kava, and for whatever reason don't have a strainer. I don't use it everyday, because I try to mainly use food safe stuff.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have never actually tried this common practice of using ladies' stockings or hose as a strainer.
I always was hesitant because I had a hard time wrapping my head around (figuratively speaking) the safety of something that might leach out dangerous chemicals into something we consume.

I probably am more concerned about it, than most people, because I am super conservative when it comes to avoiding toxins entering my body.
All I can think of is the fact that those hose are probably coated with some type of chemical, whether it's color dyes, or something else.
And the warm water involved in prep, combined with the agitated agitation, might possibly leach those chemicals into the beverage and have adverse effects on one's health.

I'm sure many people will probably say, that people have been doing it long enough, that if there was an issue, that they would know it by now.
But I also think along the lines of something that could accumulate over a period of time and heavy usage, and not show up as a health condition until much later.
Or perhaps have an undiagnosed health condition that unknowingly came as a result of it.
So, what are everyone's thoughts on how safe and non-toxic it is ?
And what, if anything, can one do to ensure more safety ?
I am going to go out on a limb and assume that you are not going all Quentin Tarantino on us and only talking about clean unused panty hose ::jawdrop2::. Panty hose are mostly nylon which would be just fine (most strainer bags are nylon). The real question is dyes, and the other material that makes them "stretchy". I would think if you ran them through a wash or two you could probably eliminate anything that would leach out but who knows...That said for a handful of $ why resort to them? Amazon will get you anything from a 75-100micron bag in a day or two.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Interesting, that my main concern was the dyes, and both of you also mentioned that as the main question.
I guess I'll try swishing it in a closed jar of water, before 'actual use', in hopes that it washes off anything like that.
Thanks
I did find this:
"Ultimately, if you need a plastic that must be safe when in contact with food, steer clear of PVC, Black Nylon or other Nylons with additives, and Regen UHMWPE. For the most part, all the other plastics are generally considered safe."

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Interesting, that my main concern was the dyes, and both of you also mentioned that as the main question.
I guess I'll try swishing it in a closed jar of water, before 'actual use', in hopes that it washes off anything like that.
Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I've used before in a pinch and 2 stockings, one inside the other, worked really well.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I did find this:
"Ultimately, if you need a plastic that must be safe when in contact with food, steer clear of PVC, Black Nylon or other Nylons with additives, and Regen UHMWPE. For the most part, all the other plastics are generally considered safe."

Thanks for that resource.
I did buy some and make it a point to avoid black or anything that seemed obvious that it contained added dyes, etc.
So I ended up buying the "nude" color.
But for all I know, the nude color may contain as much, or more dyes, to get to that shade
But I do feel more assured after reading all your replies.
Thanks again

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I did buy some and make it a point to avoid black or anything that seemed obvious that it contained added dyes, etc.
But for all I know, the nude color may contain as much, or more dyes, to get to that shade
Thanks again
Also you can get nut milk bags on amazon for cheap, or buy a strainer from a vendor that will last years.

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Thanks again
Chris from GHK does a great video on trad prep with the double stockings. I have also used the "nude" kneehighs and have not seen any leaching of colors etc. I usually rinse them thoroughly before use. I will cut them to about 6"; double them up, then shake 3+ Tbs of med grind in about 20 oz of water in bottle (kind of a "poor mans aluball...)works with smaller bottle and when I don't have my AluBottle! I do 2 washes then knead a 3rd for final extraction. Bula!

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I will cut them to about 6"; double them up, then shake 3+ Tbs of med grind in about 20 oz of water in bottle (kind of a "poor mans aluball...)works with smaller bottle and when I don't have my AluBottle!
Thank you !
I'm also curious if you could tell me, how the results compare between that method, and the Alubottle, please ?

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
After thinking about the color dye issue, maybe "nude" is not the best color hose to use, in order to avoid leaching dyes.
That's because nude color is almost the same exact color as kava, so it would camouflage too easily, and then you wouldn't know if it's actually leaching ;)
Maybe blue pantyhose, because then if it leaches, you'll know it, when you se blue kava

nashfire

Stay Rooted
Thank you !
I'm also curious if you could tell me, how the results compare between that method, and the Alubottle, please ?
Way more sediment with stockings, taste is way better imo with Alubottle (I use 2 Aluballs about 1.5 Tbs per). I get much dryer skin with stockings, prob all the makas (sediment)
Bula!