What's new

Just saw an upsetting kava YouTube video

krunkedout

Kava Lover
So I decided to type in 'kava' in my YouTube search bar and for the most part it was documentaries and how to make it and videos of people drinking kava together, the over all vibe was good. Until I saw I video that had a title that was something like "get high legally on KAVA KAVA" or something to the effect and has a pic of two girls poppin some e or dropping some good ol' fashioned lysergic acid diethylamide. I watched maybe 30 seconds of this vid because it was loading so slow, but my impression was not a good one. It's basically some punk telling you that if your under aged then drink kava. And if you want an experience that is like mixing alcohol and weed, drink kava. He basically just tells everyone that it's the new legal way to get fucked up . Or so it appears. He even calls it a legal high in some of the comments. It's just always a damned shame to see people making videos that are really saying "hey DEA! Hey FDA! Look what I'm doing! I'm having tax free fun! Come and get us!" if a java ban is ever considered, it's going to be because of dicks like that guy. And if or when that comes, there will probably be a lot of kavaseurs that are a wee bit snippy with him.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's unfortunate we can't do much about kava being portrayed like this. I guess we just have to down vote and flag it where possible.

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
If I can not drink kava..no one is safe from me!!! I make it pretty weak too . 3/4 cup with 48 ounces of water plus a second squeeze that I mix in. (16 oz). Right now I am feeling very well on half a bottle. I live alone and try not to bother anyone. Why do people do this silly stuff?Do you think a review would help? I have not watched this because of the silly picture.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I urge you all to go and reply to these comments with historical facts and our collective experiences . It's clear to me that this guy doesn't get it and is miss leading people with this video. If we simply report it that's not enough. We must be just as vocal if not more than he is in order to combat and correct this horrible misrepresentation of kava and the cultures it represents.
I posted my say. Hopefully at least his viewers read it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just doesn't understand what it is he's actually doing.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Lente... yes, you are.

OK, about the video. My major thought is that I like the man's house. It's a beautiful arts-and-crafts movement home. Also, nothing he said was untrue, as far as I am aware. The major problems seem to be a radical decontextualization (or rather recontextualization), implications of drug-induced lesbianism, and the shitty "this is your brain on kava" starting at 2:19. Minor problems are his linguistic choices of "legal high," "kava kava" and "intoxication," or perhaps these are the most major problems.

I think the best response to the video would be to address the minor problems first, since they're easy to correct. Kava doesn't intoxicate, because it's non-harmful to the CNS. Arguably it can harm the liver and the skin. I have my own hypothesis regarding the liver issues (that being it's caused by poor food choices due to culinary laziness among the krunk), but no way to prove that. No one calls kava "kava kava" in North America unless they work at a health store or supplement company. I would show the coconut shell and, if I had the resources available when making a reply video, the tanoa. There's something about the cultural context that gives kava an air of legitimacy. I'm not sure how to dispel the idea of drug-induced lesbianism without coming across as homophobic or anti-feminist except to go radical feminist, which is appropriate here. The patriarchal semiotics that the Youtuber displays with the implicit intention to capture viewer's attention is one in which lesbianism exists for the pleasure of men, rather than as a natural affection of women for each other, and in fact is a perverse state of unnatural attraction that can only possibly exist under the influence of mind-altering drugs. If anything, this is the most disgusting aspect of the video, being both an exceeding example of patriarchal tropes as well as a bait-and-switch tactic to lure viewers.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Prince set that up pretty clear. In those ways the video is really misleading.

Untrue? Not really. But his video has bad karma for us written all over it.

kl.Lente

Kava Curious
Wow. When I drink Kava I usually want to read Gary Snyder, play chess, or stare at stuff outside. Mostly stare at stuff outside, or plant things this time of year. The gut wrecking effect stops me from physically enjoying beauty though.

Or, in other words, Kava is the opposite of an aphrodisiac for me.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Lente said:
Wow. When I drink Kava I usually want to read Gary Snyder, play chess, or stare at stuff outside. Mostly stare at stuff outside, or plant things this time of year. The gut wrecking effect stops me from physically enjoying beauty though.

I get all of those feelings when drinkin kava too. But mine are mixed with an incredible horny-ness that would make Duessa in her true form seem not too bad.

kl.metacog

Kava Enthusiast
Lente said:

Yes, kava is an anaphrodisiac for me as well.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
Just an observation: The video author seems to reply to all of the asinine stoner comments, but is tellingly silent when it comes to our "defense of kava" comments. I assume he was going for shock-value and views, which is sad. A friend of the root, he is not.