What's new

Kalm with Kava Relaxation Concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
I have read on this forum that the Kalm with Kava relaxation concentrate is the best way to get past the kava taste. And I also understand that people sometimes use it for flying (as I would like to do). But how do you get the concentrate on an airplane, considering that bringing fluids on an airplane is now prohibited?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I have read on this forum that the Kalm with Kava relaxation concentrate is the best way to get past the kava taste. And I also understand that people sometimes use it for flying (as I would like to do). But how do you get the concentrate on an airplane, considering that bringing fluids on an airplane is now prohibited?
Drink it first :)

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
Ah, OK. Well, I guess I would have to resort to the Instant Kava mix later on during the flight, to keep myself Cool, calm, and collected........

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I personally didn’t like the concentrate and it gave me a headache. Maybe you should test it out first and make sure you like it before your flight.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I like the extra sedative properties of the concentrate. It should easily score you some nap time on your flight. It's probably one of the best tasting kava productd out there at the moment. It's really heavy guava and tropical flavors that do a great job masking the taste of kava.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
I personally didn’t like the concentrate and it gave me a headache. Maybe you should test it out first and make sure you like it before your flight.
Thanks for the information. I will definitely try the travel size loooooonnnng before any flight I have to take in the future. Actually, I am planning to try at least 3 or 4 different kinds of kava. Since Hawaiian Kavas, Bulakava House Akau, and Tikaram's Kava Tonga....... seem to be the ones more likely to induce some nice relaxing euphoria (lol), I think I should go ahead and order those ones first, together with the Kalm with Kava travel and regular-size bottles. Hopefully, something will work for me.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
I have never used any drugs in my life (and I realize that kava is not a drug), but I like to drink socially. For me, happiness is 1 or 2 (tops) glasses of wine in the evening while watching TV. I have never gotten "couch-locked" from having wine.
Can you kava connoisseurs tell me if it's OK to have a glass of red wine or 2 with kava? Or is this dangerous healthwise?
Again, thank you for your help.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I have never used any drugs in my life (and I realize that kava is not a drug), but I like to drink socially. For me, happiness is 1 or 2 (tops) glasses of wine in the evening while watching TV. I have never gotten "couch-locked" from having wine.
Can you kava connoisseurs tell me if it's OK to have a glass of red wine or 2 with kava? Or is this dangerous healthwise?
Mixing alcohol and kava is generally frowned upon due to the possibility of interactions. We've seen people break out in a bad rash with flushing when combining alcohol and kava too close in time together. We suggest waiting 24 hours.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
There are many good reasons not to mix them. Some people have bad reactions mixing the two, the sedative effect is increased, and you are taxing your liver by having both at the same time. That being said I have on occasion had a few craft beers or some bourbon after indulging in my kava. This has mostly been a positive experience for me with a nice synergistic effects. I have never mixed the two in the extreme (i.e. I have never had alcohol when really krunk, and never had kava when really drunk). Obviously, your mileage may vary. Since you are new to kava I wouldn't recommend it. Enjoy the kava, learn the kava, and on nights where you don't feel like kava have your wine. After a while you may find that you prefer the kava over the wine.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I think the occasional alcoholic beverage on the same day as kava won't kill you, not likely anyway. Neither is it, IMO, a great idea, but if you want to and know you can handle it, that's fine, I guess. Just remember that the best is a small amount of each, but if it has to be a bunch of one and a little of the other, it's a lot better to have a lot of kava and just one drink than it is to have a lot of alcohol and then some kava, which is always a bad idea. Then again, the worst would be lots of kava and lots of alcohol. That could be very very bad, as in falling and hurting yourself bad just trying to go to the bathroom, room spinning, nausea out of control, .... Not to mention nightmares. I tend to see kava and alcohol combined as conducive to nightmares.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
It’s definitely best to avoid mixing the two. Even if there isn’t any adverse health effects, the mix isn’t necessarily enjoyable. That being said I have on rare occasions had some drinks later on after a session due to unplanned circumstances with friends without any illness. It’s always good practice to avoid mixing multiple drugs/substances that go through the liver. I don’t personally believe we have enough studies on the combination of Kava and alcohol in terms of the effects on the liver. What we do know is traditionally prepared Kava is safe.

IMO it is important to recognize that the kavalatones within Kava absolutely is a drug, the same as alcohol, caffeine, and Tylenol. The issue is within American culture the term “drug,” retains a negative connotation. It’s a bit ironic that we culturally pick and choose what’s acceptable but that’s a completely different conversation I suppose.

The FDA currently categorizes Kava as a dietary supplement.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
There are many good reasons not to mix them. Some people have bad reactions mixing the two, the sedative effect is increased, and you are taxing your liver by having both at the same time. That being said I have on occasion had a few craft beers or some bourbon after indulging in my kava. This has mostly been a positive experience for me with a nice synergistic effects. I have never mixed the two in the extreme (i.e. I have never had alcohol when really krunk, and never had kava when really drunk). Obviously, your mileage may vary. Since you are new to kava I wouldn't recommend it. Enjoy the kava, learn the kava, and on nights where you don't feel like kava have your wine. After a while you may find that you prefer the kava over the wine.
---------
Thanks. Now, I think I know exactly how I should start using my kava.

Ena Barry

Kava Curious
Mixing alcohol and kava is generally frowned upon due to the possibility of interactions. We've seen people break out in a bad rash with flushing when combining alcohol and kava too close in time together. We suggest waiting 24 hours.
--------------
Oh, WOW! I am glad you told me this! A bad rash is the last thing I need.

I’ve been taking the oral suspension like drops from the local market and still indulging in a glass or two of wine. It’s been 4 hours since my dropped full of kava and I’ve had 1 glass French Boudreaux and really want another. Is this really awful?

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I’ve been taking the oral suspension like drops from the local market and still indulging in a glass or two of wine. It’s been 4 hours since my dropped full of kava and I’ve had 1 glass French Boudreaux and really want another. Is this really awful?
Tough to say because the extract you’re using isn’t well known and it isn’t comparable to traditionally prepared kava. Personally I wouldn’t do it, I have had a bad reaction myself after giving myself 5 hours between the kava and the alcohol. I was covered in a rash and my face was red enough that people around me almost took me to the hospital. It was the last time that I drank both in the same day

I’m curious now what it is about it that causes the rash? Also I didn’t realize I was using a not so good Kava until I found this forum. I hope to find a good graded one in the near future.

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
I’m curious now what it is about it that causes the rash? Also I didn’t realize I was using a not so good Kava until I found this forum. I hope to find a good graded one in the near future.
As I understand it it’s because your liver doesn’t have enough enzymes to properly break down the alcohol and as a result your body can’t get rid of the toxins which results in the rash. Good Kava is easy to find, i typically order mine from Amazon

Kavashua

Mmmm Kava
Gotcha so I see mixed answers on how long to wait. 72 seems like awhile. Hopefully 24 is safe enough.
I haven’t had any issues past 12 hours but since I’m not a doctor take this with a grain of salt. Personally I stick with a minimum of 12 hours, I suppose 24 hours would be best but I understand that anxiety and everything else just doesn’t wait and sometimes you just need relief. You’ll know better once you try a decent kava made traditional prepared or micronized how long in between you want to mix. A lot of people never go back to alcohol so with that being said I think your next move is to try actual kava and skip the extract

Status
Not open for further replies.