What's new

Kava and alcohol Close proximity? Thoughts, experience and research please :)

Codar

I am curious what info there is about this subject. As a person who regularly drank quite a bit, I began getting it under control (2 8% beers each night) and then after starting kava often only have 1 beer a night. I was quite pleased how much I enjoyed kava and how it unexpectedly made me become disinterested in alcohol and therefore drink less without even really trying to.

But I am just curious about details and experiences with using them both at the same time or one after another. Getting a nice kava flow going beforehand really helps 1 drink feel like enough, but I'm not sure if drinking kava and then drinking a beer 15 minutes later is potentially quite bad for the body. I understand that anything processed by the liver is bad to stack on top of other things the liver has to deal with, but I'd also assume the main issue would be large amounts of either or both at once.

Furthermore, do you like having alcohol any time around your kava? In close proximity I find that the alcohol basically potentiates the kava quite a bit and I find myself with this nice, carefree buzz that feels great both physically and mentally. And it is such a wonder to drink hardly any alcohol and instantly, without any determination, react with "No more, that is enough" and feel quite easily content with that. I can't believe I didn't look into kava more for such a purpose in the past.

Going forward, my plan is to cut drinking down to where it is not every night and then also reduce kava intake. One of the beautiful things I have found about kava is that you don't have to be F'd to truly enjoy it; even in very mild and subtle amounts, it can be quite nice.

Cheers

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
For a few years I was rigid about not having alcohol and kava on the same day, which was helped by kava completely eliminating any desire I had for alcohol.

However, now I am treating my anemia with stout, a bottle of Guinness a day, which has worked perfectly , and I have had to make accommodations with my all day, every day kava drinking.

My rule is that I have to have been drinking kava first, never alcohol first. And I just have it as a relaxing break from the kava. I confess I never feel anything from the single alcoholic beverage, but it does taste great and feels very pleasurable. After that one stout, I definitely feel like that’s enough and I don’t crave anymore. I just go back to drinking more kava.

at first I was worried that this would not work, but I have been doing this for a year with no problems and my anemia was dealt with.

Side note, I have bladder cancer (in remission) and cannot drink more than one alcoholic beverage a day for the rest of my life, anyway. So it’s especially gratifying that just one stout is so satisfying. And I do not find the detracts from my enjoyment of kava.