What's new

Kava and alcohol consumption question

kl.alkava

Hi i have recently discovered Kava and am hoping it will help me out with my social anxiety which is pretty severe, i am waiting for some instant kava to be delivered from BKH and plan to order some root powder soon.

In the mean time i have bought some 500mg kava capsules which contain 30% kavalactones as a member on this forum found them to be effective, they can be seen at this link: http://www.biovea.com/uk/product_detail.aspx?NAME=KAVA-KAVA-500mg-60-Capsules&PID=21520&OS=204

My question is, should i be worried about consuming alcohol when taking these capsules? At the moment i have a couple of beers most weeknights to relax and usually a large drink with friends one night at the weekend, obviously i wouldn't take the capsules when having a large drink but is a couple of beers at night ok if i have taken a capsule during the day? I plan to curb my alcohol intake once i start my new job however at the moment i am just wondering how careful you need to be with alcohol when taking kava.

Lastly, is it worth me getting my liver enzyme levels checked before i start taking kava and is it possible to do so? Should i explain to the doctor that i wish to try kava out and that i want to be on the safe side? Has anyone done this?

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

D

Deleted User01

I brew beer, I love beer, and I love Kava too.  On my Kava days, I limit myself to 1 beer max and an hour after my last shell (I start in mid afternoon).  The last time I went for a blood test, I had them do a Liver Panel and everything was ok (so far).  My cholesterol, however, skyrocketed.  Surprise! there is no perfect drug and Kava is no exception.  And there are guys in this forum that develop rashes and scaly skin caused by daily Kava consumption (stay hydrated my friend).    So moderation in everything is the key.   Look, I'm much older than you guys and I have been there and done that.   Kava is not the total answer yet it has helped me cut back on alcohol and deal with stress (no more Xanax).    Along with Kava, please consider exercise (walking will do the trick), meditation (really nice with Kava), yoga (simple exercise), and modifying your diet (you have no choice with the cholesterol thing).  That being said, I luvs my Kava but I'm wary of it as well.

kl.alkava

Deleted User01 said:
I brew beer, I love beer, and I love Kava too.  On my Kava days, I limit myself to 1 beer max and an hour after my last shell (I start in mid afternoon).  The last time I went for a blood test, I had them do a Liver Panel and everything was ok (so far).  My cholesterol, however, skyrocketed.  Surprise! there is no perfect drug and Kava is no exception.  And there are guys in this forum that develop rashes and scaly skin caused by daily Kava consumption (stay hydrated my friend).    So moderation in everything is the key.   Look, I'm much older than you guys and I have been there and done that.   Kava is not the total answer yet it has helped me cut back on alcohol and deal with stress (no more Xanax).    Along with Kava, please consider exercise (walking will do the trick), meditation (really nice with Kava), yoga (simple exercise), and modifying your diet (you have no choice with the cholesterol thing).  That being said, I luvs my Kava but I'm wary of it as well.  
Thanks for the excellent advice Deleted User01, much appreciated :)