What's new

Medicinal Usage Kava and Bipolar.

Jack

Kava Curious
Hello, long story short well my girl has bipolar and she is under lots and lots of stress coupled with some injuries that just wont let her sleep like normal.
so I am looking for any and all information pertaining to kava kava and bipolar either scientific or anecdotal and preferably if anybody on here has the condition and uses kava or knows someone please inform me of any and all info, private message is fine if you dont want to post to here.

If i come accross any useful information in my own internet browsing ill post it here also.
Thank you in advance for any help.

P.s. if theirs a thread with this please link me up.

Steve T

Kava Enthusiast
I don't know about how kava reacts with someone who is bipolar. But I can safely assume that it can't treat bipolar. I don't like psychiatry but bipolar is one disorder which meds treat very well. It's vitally important, especially since most bipolar people refuse treatment, and when that happens then bad things happen. Having said that (which you probably already know anyway), I guess kava could help symptomatically with anxiety just like it does with the rest of us. I would have her try a small batch and see what happens. It's different from alcohol, which is bad with bipolar. I don't think it affects dopamine much (seeing as how it's not as fun as drinking), but some other members here will comment on that. But you never know with kava, everything is trial and error. I wrote about meds because I had a girlfriend who had borderline, she refused to take meds and it was a huge, huge mess, but BPD can't be directly treated with meds whereas bipolar can.

D

Deleted User01

There is probably little of no information on Bipolar kava. Your best bet is to find a member that is 'been there and done that" and see what he says. That is the beauty of the Kava Forums, there are tons of people that have been thru varying degrees of Hell and they are willing to serve as unofficial counselors. Per what @Steve T said, if it can be treated with non-addictive meds, then that may be the way to go and assuming you can convince her to take it. Good luck Bro, that is a toughy.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
I don't know about how kava reacts with someone who is bipolar. But I can safely assume that it can't treat bipolar. I don't like psychiatry but bipolar is one disorder which meds treat very well. It's vitally important, especially since most bipolar people refuse treatment, and when that happens then bad things happen. Having said that (which you probably already know anyway), I guess kava could help symptomatically with anxiety just like it does with the rest of us. I would have her try a small batch and see what happens. It's different from alcohol, which is bad with bipolar. I don't think it affects dopamine much (seeing as how it's not as fun as drinking), but some other members here will comment on that. But you never know with kava, everything is trial and error. I wrote about meds because I had a girlfriend who had borderline, she refused to take meds and it was a huge, huge mess, but BPD can't be directly treated with meds whereas bipolar can.
yes I agree. She needs to be seeing a doctor, and ask the doctor if she can use kava as a sleep aid, and also get meds, for bipolar. I have a close family member who is also Bipolar, and is on meds, and uses kava to sleep, with a doctors permission. The only thing is I find Doctors do not know much about Kava. They think of it as a standard dietary supplement, like a vitamin. So some times, you have to educate, the doctor about Kava. Much love Roaddog....

Jack

Kava Curious
Thank you for the help so much everyone i appreciate it even if theirs not much information give.
So far all i have found online is anecdotal reports with which people found kava when taken regularly helped to buffer their anxieties/help sleep so that coping with the highs and lows was allot easier and less frequent or severe.
but also saying that another person said tudei kava would make them manic... so its got to be partially hit or miss if it helps or not.
will keep in mind all that you said too regarding docs meds etc

if you see anything new im more then happy to read it and hopefully i get to find someone who has delt with this issue first hand to discuss it with.

so far she tried it once and told me it made her feel really good but she went to work (high stress zone for her) so she couldn't relax into it and got agitated.
so x fingers it can help even just sooth her sleep if nothing else.

id reply with quotes and all that jazz but im utterly exhuasted at the moment
:) gotta remain positive n all so still smiling

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Thank you for the help so much everyone i appreciate it even if theirs not much information give.
So far all i have found online is anecdotal reports with which people found kava when taken regularly helped to buffer their anxieties/help sleep so that coping with the highs and lows was allot easier and less frequent or severe.
but also saying that another person said tudei kava would make them manic... so its got to be partially hit or miss if it helps or not.
will keep in mind all that you said too regarding docs meds etc

if you see anything new im more then happy to read it and hopefully i get to find someone who has delt with this issue first hand to discuss it with.

so far she tried it once and told me it made her feel really good but she went to work (high stress zone for her) so she couldn't relax into it and got agitated.
so x fingers it can help even just sooth her sleep if nothing else.

id reply with quotes and all that jazz but im utterly exhuasted at the moment
:) gotta remain positive n all so still smiling
Well its more than a matter of will it work for her needs, but how it should best be used for her needs. As mentioned above, make sure with her doctor, of no drug interaction. Some folks use a little all day long. others use it only in the evenings. Its a matter of exploring the possibilities. I have been using Kava for about 5 months now. I can tell you Im still learning from kava. Much love. Roaddog....