What's new

Kava and Blood Pressure | Kava and Heartbeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Speaking of heart rates, check this out. Look at that jump after drinking kava.
Kava Vendor: Gourmet Hawaiian Kava
Kava Type: Nene Instant
Amount: 2 1/2 Tablespoons.
heartrate.jpg

D

Deleted User01

I don't get it? What time did you start? 10:16 it was 111 but 2 hours later it was 75 which is normal. I'm going to assume you started at 9:45 or so. Anyway, I like what you did. I have my heart pressure machine right next to me. This afternoon I will run the same test and I will also do it with Micronized Nene. I will take a before reading. Then one after every shell. And then periodic readings after that. Great Kava experiment and good data for people who may have pre-existing conditions that shouldn't be doing kava or red wine.

Ok, I started the Thread on Kava and Blood Pressure and Kava and Heart Beat. I guess it needs to be changed to Pulse. Everyone who can , please post. Be on your best behavior because Google is watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

In response to Kapm showing his blood pressure on Kava, I'm kicking off the thread and I will post my results later tonite or the morning. I will take a blood pressure and pulse reading before I start. Then one after every shell for 3 shells in all. Then periodic reading after that to see the change as the Kava wears off. In the future, we can test sedating kavas against headier Kavas to see how that changes the results. Everyone who can, please chip in your results. Let us know the strain, type of Kava, how long between shells, and dosage. Thanks to Kapm for a great idea!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Deleted User01 it reads from the bottom up. I took my resting rate at 12 yesterday afternoon, and drank the kava at 10:01 PM, tested 5 minutes later, then waited 10 minutes and tested again. If I can remember I'll start doing this nightly so we can gather some data.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, I read it ass backwards. And I didn't pay attention to the PM after the 12. I'm excited though. This will be a cool experiment and we have all the guinea pigs we need right here on the forums.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I'll do this again when I get some kava, but I remember when I tried it in the past, I had a 15-20 bpm increase in heart rate when I was nicely ro0ted.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, but if we move the posts to here, we need to stick with posting of test results only. Anyway, I finished my test using Nene Micronized. I had some chocolate after lunch and that could be the reason for the initial elevated pulse. There were no distractions other than my normal everyday work stuff and the environment was stable throughout the day. No distractions like close basketball games, smoking of kava, smoking of tobacco, and no mixing of other kava products. All times are PM.
2:40 122/69 81 Beginning reading.
2:45. 2 tablespoons of Micronized Kava in Ginger Ale, Lime and Ice.
3:12 119/80 78. Beginning to feel the mild sedation.
3:32 120/81 78. 3/4 done with 2 tablespoons. Sedation is getting stronger.
3:47 124/72 73. Feeling it now.
4:07 121/75 74 Very sedated. I may force down another tablespoon in a while.
4:32 One tablespoon in a tiny dixie cup with a little water.
4:47 123/83 73 That's it. My pulse actually went down but the chocolate might have elevated it in the first place.

The Nene has always been sedating to me and my pulse went down. In the future I will do Honokane Iki which is headier (to me). I also have a .5 bottle of red wine that may be tested by itself tomorrow. It is very important that you try to do the test in an controlled environment. Stay away from anything exciting on TV and tell the family not to tell you they wrecked the car. :LOL:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
When we're reasonably satisfied with the number of results I'll pull them out into their own "results only" thread. I've always wondered if I'm just excited that I'm going to bed and subconsciously raising my heart rate.

D

Deleted User01

Don't stay up watching the Grizzlies play a close game. Do something relaxing and then do the readings. Also, do one reading 10 minutes before you start. You have to somehow get rid of all distractions.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, this thread was created after the thread about drinking wine and pulse racing. I promised to post my blood pressure and pulse while consuming kava on one day and alcohol on another. So, here is the moment you all have been waiting for. Here are my blood pressure and pulse readings while drinking wine. Please, no applause, just send Kava. So I’m at my desk drinking some left over red wine from the weekend. I’m not sitting at a candlelit table, sipping my wine, and staring across the table at a lovely creature of the female species. No sir-ree Bobcat, I’m staring at my lovely computer while I finish my work for the day. You guys with the high pulse have some susplaining to do (in private of course). ::ricky:: I am a Male Kava drinker but I drink alcohol (in moderation) about 2-3 times a week. I never mix the two on the same day. I only drink Noble Kava. So here we go:

Wine.
4:08 122/74 83 Before I start. My pulse is always high during the day. Excitable boy they all said.
4:34 121/74 76 One small glass of wine done. Pulse is going down .. So far.
4:51 119/72 76 Steady as she goes half way to glass 2. Thinking about candlelit tables, good Italian food, and other.. errrr ... things.
5:17 126/75 79 Done with the second glass. Nice wine buzz. End of Job.

So in my case, no problems with racing pulse with either kava or alcohol. On the other hand, I posted the other day that Marijuana made my pulse jump to 140. I hope to test a high kavain kava next to see if that effects me any differently. Happy Hump Day!

R

Rookietwoshoes

It's been proven that MJ does raise bp initially but then lowers it after 30 minutes

D

Deleted User01

@HeadHodge, I guess you have a knack for posting your pulse reading. I'm taking notes. Do you think your blood pressure went to 90 because of the kava or was it the hustle and bustle of preparing it and throwing down the gullet.

Status
Not open for further replies.