What's new

Kava and Bowel Movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Possibly. Are you ingesting any makas ? That could be an effect with any excess of insoluble fiber.
Could be. But if I am, it's not intentional or a conscious thing I'm aware of.
I wonder if there is any supplement I can take, to help with the digestion of "incidental" ingested insoluble fiber ?
I'm thinking digestive enzymes, or something of that nature.

Saghloqh

Kava Curious
If it does come down to a plant to ers thing, the good news is that normally your gut microbiota adjust after a while and deal with it themselves. For example, I used to be addicted to the other "K" plant and would use, some days, nearly 100 grams of it, just purely toss 'n wash. When I first started, only 5 grams would upset my stomach.

But if you're putting a certain type of "food" in your stomach, the bacteria that can process it will start to multiply.

Now, I am pretty sure that some of the kavalactones themselves have effects on digestion. At least one of them is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, which means that your peripheral nervous system ends up more stimulated. (Fight or flight response). This can cause things to get moving in your bowels, as I'm sure you've experienced with something like performance anxiety haha.

This might be approaching tmi territory, but often the first kava I consume of the day will cause me to have a movement, and quickly enough that I don't think it's the fiber at play. If I over dulge, I will have gastrointestinal effects that can last much longer and be uncomfortable for sure.

I don't know how frequent of a user you are, or if you are newer, but you may have to power through u til your body adjusts, or use smaller doses, or just try different kava with different phenotypes and see if any of them affect you differently.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Could there possibly be a connection between drinking kava, and having overly-frequent bowel movements, along with stomach discomfort while that happens ?
It's not the fiber content in the kava. It's caused by some other component but it's a common side effect. You can find more discussions about it in the past. Some kava seems to get your bowels moving more than others. I notice it more with Vanuatu kava though. Over the years I haven't gained any tolerance to this effect.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
I think it's a mix of kavain and fibers.
Whenever I get the classic kavain rush is when I usually have to go and both subside at the same time as well.
This is similar with all intoxicants that make you have to go. When the coffee rush hits you have to go . The nicotine rush, you have to go and if you don't immedialty then stomach discomfort follows soon after.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I get nausea from kava sometimes, but not while in the bathroom. Kava does make me go both 1 and 2 but when it comes to bowel movements.they are usually welcome. Worst case it might be loose stool.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I don't get nausea much but when I do I never actually vomit. Usually burping is fine enough so it's probably just gas build up. It gets thing moving when I drink it usually but it's never anything loose either. I'm just someone who is more prone to getting bloated so I need to limit myself more because of that.

Joeb004

Kava Curious
I'm a kava noob - but I've had a few problems with emergency bathroom breaks the next day. TMI? I do suspect it to be fiber related. I supplement fiber daily, and my natural fiber intake is already pretty good. I'm going to try skipping the supplementation on days when I take Kava and see if that helps.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm a kava noob - but I've had a few problems with emergency bathroom breaks the next day. TMI? I do suspect it to be fiber related. I supplement fiber daily, and my natural fiber intake is already pretty good. I'm going to try skipping the supplementation on days when I take Kava and see if that helps.
there's a ton of natural fibre in grog. Lots of starch, sugar, some lipids.

MokiAwa

Kava Curious
My routine when I get home from work almost always includes a trip to the restroom immediately after my first shell. It's kept me clockwork regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.