What's new

Kava Fact of the Day Kava and Cholesterol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava fact of the day: Kava’s effect on cholesterol.

Today we’re going to touch on the proposed effect of kava to raise cholesterol levels in heavy kava drinkers. Several studies over the last two decades have found increased levels of LDL and HDL in kava drinkers. The author responsible for the bulk of this research and these studies is Alan Clough. In these papers by Clough, he addresses kava usage in Arnhem Land Aborigines in Northern Territory Australia ([1],[2]). In these studies it was found that a dose dependent relationship existed between increases in HDL and LDL and aqueous (“traditional”) kava consumption. Cholesterol was found significantly higher for current kava users than for non users and recent users. HDL and LDL were significantly higher in current kava users. Triglycerides were not significantly affected between the groups [3].

table1cornaryrisk.png

2354pt09jix61.jpg

In a study on rats from 2011 researchers fed them a wide range of dosages of kavalactones for 14 weeks. These dosages ranged from zero for control, to 2g per kilogram of body weight. Interestingly a concentration level of .125g/kg was also used which would correspond more closely to “real world” type kava consumption. I say “closely” here, and that corresponds to around 7 grams per day of kavalactones if a human were taking it. This dose falls into the range of kava exposure we see in Fijian kava circles [4]. Attached table 2 shows these varying dosages along with changes in various cholesterol levels at different time scales [5]. As you can see, the 2g/kg levels produced the most changes, however this level is impossible to reach in a normal setting. The .125mg/kg column would more closely correlate to what we might see on an individual level. This chart shows the dose dependent relationship between increasing amounts of kavalactones, and increasing levels of cholesterol.

How does this apply to me?

If you drink kava on a daily basis you could see some of your HDL, LDL and cholesterol numbers rise in your metabolic tests. Is this a cause for concern? Currently I personally find myself in this group with raised numbers. I’ve tested high two times in a row over the span of a year. My BMI is 19 and I don’t eat crazy fattening food. Every year I make sure to stress those numbers to my doctor, and every test I’ve been told that the numbers were higher, yes, but not enough for concern. I’ve also attached the results (2/6/2021 & 1/19/2020) from my own personal metabolic test for comparison to what the doctor said was not concerning currently. In the doctor’s own words “Though the cholesterol level is elevated, your 10 year risk of heart disease remains low at 2%. Therefore, you do not need a cholesterol lowering statin medication.” When it boils down, it’s important to see your doctor for regular checkups and health screenings. While kava is a fantastic plant, it does have its limitations, and it’s always best to err on the side of caution and be aware if any issues do arise. My results attached represent 15 consecutive years of daily kava drinking effects.

2021 Results

2020 Results

[1] Clough A. Enough! or too much. What is 'excessive' kava use in Arnhem Land? Drug Alcohol Rev. 2003 Mar;22(1):43-51.
https://doi.org/10.1080/0959523021000059820.

[2] Clough AR, Rowley K, O'Dea K. Kava use, dyslipidaemia and biomarkers of dietary quality in Aboriginal people in Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory (NT), Australia. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2004 Jul;58(7):1090-3.
https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1601921

[3] Clough AR, Jacups SP, Wang Z, Burns CB, Bailie RS, Cairney SJ, Collie A, Guyula T, McDonald SP, Currie BJ. Health effects of kava use in an eastern Arnhem Land Aboriginal community. Intern Med J. 2003 Aug;33(8):336-40.
https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-0903.2003.00405.x

[4] Bian, Tengfei, Pedro Corral, Yuzhi Wang, Jordy Botello, Rick Kingston, Tyler Daniels, Ramzi G. Salloum, et al. 2020. “Kava as a Clinical Nutrient: Promises and Challenges.” Nutrients 12 (10).
https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12103044.

[5] Behl, Mamta, Abraham Nyska, Rajendra S. Chhabra, Gregory S. Travlos, Laurene M. Fomby, Barney R. Sparrow, Milton R. Hejtmancik, and Po C. Chan. 2011. “Liver Toxicity and Carcinogenicity in F344/N Rats and B6C3F1 Mice Exposed to Kava Kava.” Food and Chemical Toxicology: An International Journal Published for the British Industrial Biological Research Association 49 (11): 2820–29.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2011.07.067.

RIP Mike Munsell. Your memory lives on forever.

Last edited:

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Red rice extract is the mainstream cholester-lowering supplement. There are many others ranging from well known to experimental & obscure.

If HDL/LDL ratio is normal or good, then the slightly elevated cholesterol may not be as bad.

Statins do not seem do be 'very safe' drugs to take, more like 'moderately safe'.

It seems that you may find the references without great difficulty.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
My educated guess is that kava:cholesterol is related to liver. Mainly or not -- no studies answer this AFAIK.

The supplements that are likely to support liver are few: taraxacum officinale (dandelion), silymarin (milk thistle active ingredient), boron, N-acetylcysteine, ALCAR, molybdenum perhaps but not neccessarily, and Urtica dioica or stinging nettle (haven't read much about the latter, independent research is very much advised and note that it combines well elwith blood thinning herbs like garlic that happens to be anti-atherogenic).

Last edited:

Aloha Kava

Aloha Kava Guy
Kava Vendor
Thank you for this. Cholesterol is a strange subject; with the rise of low carb and keto, more research is being done which (from my offhand knowledge of it) suggests it's not more cholesterol that's the issue, it's the ratio of HDL, LDL, and triglycerides. Complicating it even more is the possibility that it could be the type of LDL that's the issue, not the total amount. I don't have extensive knowledge on the subject, but like everything nowadays, it seems less clear cut. That said, a doctor and/or nutritionist's opinion should be our chief concern when we think about our health.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
Nope, not going to think about this. :)
Yeah, totally. I think i'd just rather eat healthier and continue to drink as much kava as i want to. It helps that i believe kava encourages this as i find myself avoiding greasy or sugary foods in order to avoid any nausea associated with drinking kava.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Wait though, the data seems to show that cholesterol actually decreases over the span of time in which the rats were fed the kavalactones, doesn't it? i.e. day 4 to 23 to week 14, the cholesterol numbers actually go down for every kavalactone amount. Where does the data show that KLs increased overall cholesterol counts?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wait though, the data seems to show that cholesterol actually decreases over the span of time in which the rats were fed the kavalactones, doesn't it? i.e. day 4 to 23 to week 14, the cholesterol numbers actually go down for every kavalactone amount. Where does the data show that KLs increased overall cholesterol counts?
Nice! I'm getting checked on these. I really do seriously appreciate that.

While that chart does show dose dependent increase, it doesn't do a very good job at illustrating it. Here's something better. I've added the correct table in the original FOTD.

Attachments

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Ah interesting, yep that supports the cholesterol raising hypothesis, assuming proper controls were done and all that. I've become intimately involved with monitoring what I ingest over the last couple of weeks as my cholesterol (particularly LDL) levels have skyrocketed over the last 2 years (I skipped a physical during the covid outbreak). However there are multiple factors in my life that have changed; my gym closed down so my weekly physical activity has gone down, I started cooking less, and I started drinking Kava. I'm now attacking it from all angles (nutrition, physical activity) to drive it down.

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Also, yep I see the dose dependent increase now in Table 2, it definitely does play a factor. I was just more concerned with the temporal aspect of it which clouded my view of the dose dependency, passage of time aside. Thanks!

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
Just thought I'd follow up here. I continued having mixed hyperlipidemia issues through this last December. I had rejoined a gym in the spring of 2022, and mostly would focus on strength training. As of December, my LDL was at an all time high of about 209, at which point my doctor and I decided to start on a statin (rosuvastatin). After 60 days of a 10mg dose and increased cardio (HIIT training with tabatas, specifically) and being extra careful about how I eat, I managed to get LDL down to 90. I also gave up Kava for the past 2 months to rule that out as a variable. Now that I have my cholesterol under control, I can mess with the variables (kava, the statin, etc) to see how much I can control hopefully without the medication.

outlet

Thanks for following up, @fueledbykava! I also recently went for my yearly checkup and have an LDL level of 254. I've been abstaining from kava as well (I was a very heavy drinker before, going through a lb of instant in about 10 days). I've started the same statin and am only 3 weeks in, but have dropped 20 lbs and was previously keto. I have follow up bloodwork scheduled for 3 months out and will report back. At that time I suspect LDL to be similar to yours, at which point I'll be reintroducing kava at a more reasonable dosage. Please follow up with additional blood work after resuming consumption and I'll be sure to do the same. Thanks for the data point.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
A possible solution may be supplementing the diet with plant sterols, which can be found on amazon.

"Plant sterols, also known as phytosterols, are naturally occurring compounds found in plant cell membranes that have a similar structure to cholesterol. They can help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, often referred to as "bad" cholesterol, by inhibiting its absorption in the small intestine. When consumed, plant sterols compete with cholesterol for absorption, which results in less cholesterol being absorbed and more being excreted from the body.

The extent to which plant sterols reduce LDL cholesterol can vary depending on factors such as the individual's diet, genetics, and the specific amount of plant sterols consumed. Studies have generally shown that a daily intake of 1.5 to 3 grams of plant sterols can reduce LDL cholesterol levels by 6% to 15%. It is important to note that the effect of plant sterols on cholesterol levels is generally considered to be dose-dependent, meaning that higher doses result in greater reductions.

Incorporating plant sterols into one's diet can be achieved through consuming foods rich in plant sterols, such as vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains, or through the use of fortified foods and supplements. It is crucial to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, as plant sterols alone may not be sufficient to significantly lower LDL cholesterol levels."

Abumweis, Suhad S., Roula Barake, and Peter J. H. Jones. 2008. “Plant Sterols/stanols as Cholesterol Lowering Agents: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.” Food & Nutrition Research 52 (August). https://doi.org/10.3402/fnr.v52i0.1811.

Musa-Veloso, Kathy, Theresa H. Poon, Julie Ann Elliot, and Catherine Chung. 2011. “A Comparison of the LDL-Cholesterol Lowering Efficacy of Plant Stanols and Plant Sterols over a Continuous Dose Range: Results of a Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trials.” Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Essential Fatty Acids 85 (1): 9–28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2011.02.001.

Ras, Rouyanne T., Johanna M. Geleijnse, and Elke A. Trautwein. 2014. “LDL-Cholesterol-Lowering Effect of Plant Sterols and Stanols across Different Dose Ranges: A Meta-Analysis of Randomised Controlled Studies.” The British Journal of Nutrition 112 (2): 214–19. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514000750.

Vanstone, Catherine A., Mahmoud Raeini-Sarjaz, William E. Parsons, and Peter J. H. Jones. 2002. “Unesterified Plant Sterols and Stanols Lower LDL-Cholesterol Concentrations Equivalently in Hypercholesterolemic Persons.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 76 (6): 1272–78. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.6.1272.

Last edited:

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
A possible solution may be supplementing the diet with plant sterols, which can be found on amazon.

"Plant sterols, also known as phytosterols, are naturally occurring compounds found in plant cell membranes that have a similar structure to cholesterol. They can help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, often referred to as "bad" cholesterol, by inhibiting its absorption in the small intestine. When consumed, plant sterols compete with cholesterol for absorption, which results in less cholesterol being absorbed and more being excreted from the body.

The extent to which plant sterols reduce LDL cholesterol can vary depending on factors such as the individual's diet, genetics, and the specific amount of plant sterols consumed. Studies have generally shown that a daily intake of 1.5 to 3 grams of plant sterols can reduce LDL cholesterol levels by 6% to 15%. It is important to note that the effect of plant sterols on cholesterol levels is generally considered to be dose-dependent, meaning that higher doses result in greater reductions.

Incorporating plant sterols into one's diet can be achieved through consuming foods rich in plant sterols, such as vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, legumes, and whole grains, or through the use of fortified foods and supplements. It is crucial to maintain a healthy and balanced diet, as plant sterols alone may not be sufficient to significantly lower LDL cholesterol levels."

Abumweis, Suhad S., Roula Barake, and Peter J. H. Jones. 2008. “Plant Sterols/stanols as Cholesterol Lowering Agents: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.” Food & Nutrition Research 52 (August). https://doi.org/10.3402/fnr.v52i0.1811.

Musa-Veloso, Kathy, Theresa H. Poon, Julie Ann Elliot, and Catherine Chung. 2011. “A Comparison of the LDL-Cholesterol Lowering Efficacy of Plant Stanols and Plant Sterols over a Continuous Dose Range: Results of a Meta-Analysis of Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trials.” Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, and Essential Fatty Acids 85 (1): 9–28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2011.02.001.

Ras, Rouyanne T., Johanna M. Geleijnse, and Elke A. Trautwein. 2014. “LDL-Cholesterol-Lowering Effect of Plant Sterols and Stanols across Different Dose Ranges: A Meta-Analysis of Randomised Controlled Studies.” The British Journal of Nutrition 112 (2): 214–19. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114514000750.

Vanstone, Catherine A., Mahmoud Raeini-Sarjaz, William E. Parsons, and Peter J. H. Jones. 2002. “Unesterified Plant Sterols and Stanols Lower LDL-Cholesterol Concentrations Equivalently in Hypercholesterolemic Persons.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 76 (6): 1272–78. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/76.6.1272.
Using a plant sterol based margarine has helped me lower LDL. But, you have to keep using it ad infinitum if you want to have about 10% lower LDL readings.

Had a little bit of a scare with all of this the last couple of days. I noticed my cholesterol levels went up when I started drinking Kava 5 years ago. Doc had me undergo an ultrasound today to check on a very small amount of plaque buildup in the carotid arteries in the neck. She said it was very minimal and am waiting to get back the cholesterol blood results. But, it is strange. Exercise daily, plant-based eater, and low body fat. I am around 55 now. But, I've had multiple people comment on how I was the last person they would consider to have some plaque buildup. I'm going to check my lab results and may cut back on the Kava for a bit. In all probability...This isn't the Kava. But, going to research it completely.

Last edited: