What's new

Kava and cold sores

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
Occasionally I have the displeasure of a cold sore. When I first started drinking kava a few years ago, it would dry out my lips and almost feel like I was about to get a cold sore. I didn't for a long time, though, and then some more stressful life events happened and I got them a few times over the course of one year. Because of how it felt as they dried up, I'd stop drinking kava when the cold sores would pop up, thinking that the dryness would compound the problem.

I just had one show up about 4 days ago, and I thought it was going to be this giant thing hanging off my face the size of a grape, the way it looked initially. For some reason I said "screw it" and kept drinking kava anyway, and putting ointment on it, and it's down to just a minor scab now. Usually this is a 2-3 week ordeal with a painful healing process.

It may just be coincidence, and I hope I don't have to test this theory again for a long time because I hate getting those things. I wanted to share that with everyone though. Maybe the anti-inflammatory effects of kava help? Maybe there's something else that puts the virus back in remission? Kava lowers stress and boosts the immune system as a result?