What's new

Kava and Covid Vaccine

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all,

This might be a stupid question but I'm having the Covid Vaccine next week and it was just wondering if anyone has been taking Kava whiles having had the vaccine.

I was going to stop Kava for a week after taking the vaccine but if anyone has been on it whiles having had the vaccine (same day / week) ... I'd been interested to know.

Anyone with experience on this?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi all,

This might be a stupid question but I'm having the Covid Vaccine next week and it was just wondering if anyone has been taking Kava whiles having had the vaccine.

I was going to stop Kava for a week after taking the vaccine but if anyone has been on it whiles having had the vaccine (same day / week) ... I'd been interested to know.

@TJrriffic has had the two part vaccine and had no issues drinking kava through all of it.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi all,

I got my first one today and so far I drank both before and after the shot. My arm is sore which is normal otherwise no problems. I doubt kava will have any ill effects, it will probably help me.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
In my state I'll be eligible to sign up for it tomorrow (I guess technically today since it's after midnight) and I was thinking about this earlier today. I get nervous about vaccines ( I don't know why, it's dumb. I'm not against them.) And I think I'd be happier if I was a little mellowed out before i got there.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
In my state I'll be eligible to sign up for it tomorrow (I guess technically today since it's after midnight) and I was thinking about this earlier today. I get nervous about vaccines ( I don't know why, it's dumb. I'm not against them.) And I think I'd be happier if I was a little mellowed out before i got there.
It is not dumb to nervous about anything novel you put in your body. Do your research and make an informed decision.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi all,

Definitely not a stupid question. I think the biggest concerns is if kava would blunt your bodies immune response to the vaccine. For vaccines to be effective your body needs to respond and build antibodies. I have no reason to believe kava would act as a immunosuppressant, even if it does work as an anti-inflammatory. That said I might hold off on drinking kava until after getting the shot just to be on the safe side.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
So I'm getting my shot in the morning! Excited but also nervous. Def gonna have some Kava before bed as usual to help me sleep and not think about it too much. I'm not going by myself so I won't have to drive myself so I might have some in the morning before I go.
Samoa Awa? Borogu? I'll have to decide on one....

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I'm getting my shot in the morning! Excited but also nervous. Def gonna have some Kava before bed as usual to help me sleep and not think about it too much. I'm not going by myself so I won't have to drive myself so I might have some in the morning before I go.
Samoa Awa? Borogu? I'll have to decide on one....
Nothing to worry about, really. You are going to be sore for one day, that's about it.

I would drink the Samoan before hand.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Honestly it's the idea of being one of the the 1 in a million people who has an allergic reaction to it.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Honestly it's the idea of being one of the the 1 in a million people who has an allergic reaction to it.
It's surprising how few things actually do interact with kava. I was surprised that I can go to the dentist and have novocaine or the new one they use these days and that's fine with kava apparently. Well, @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava told me it was fine so that's good enough for me!

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I think the issue is more what @Zaphod said above - whether use of substances can reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine - rather than having some immediate reaction. I had the first shot of astrazeneca recently and the doc told me to stay off alcohol for 4 days minimum. If he'd ever heard of kava I'm pretty sure he'd say to stay off that for 4 days too, just to be on the safe side.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I wonder if the AstraZeneca advice is related to blood clotting. I’m going to try and get the Johnson and Johnson shot- don’t want to wait and extra 4 weeks worrying about how bad the second jab-flu is going to be.

StevenF

Kava Enthusiast
I wonder if the AstraZeneca advice is related to blood clotting. I’m going to try and get the Johnson and Johnson shot- don’t want to wait and extra 4 weeks worrying about how bad the second jab-flu is going to be.
I had the AstraZeneca jab 14 days ago...I'm ok but I'm not sure if I'm going to have the next one, unless they find out what the blood clotting is all about. I didn't get a choice of which one to have. If you're in UK you have no choice btw

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hi all,

Just a quick follow up. I got my first jab of Pfizer on Friday around noon. I did not have any kava that day (or anything else). My arm was a bit sore on Friday right after the shot but not bad. On Saturday by mid-day it was pretty sore and hurt pretty bad. I don't usually have any reaction to jabs. I did drink a small amount of kava (maybe 4TBS) on Saturday evening. By Sunday my arm was just fine and I continued with my usual 8-10 TBS/day. I can't say if it was an issue, but I don't think so. I will follow up in 3 weeks when I get my second jab. I hear that one can be a real doozy for 12-24hrs after words.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Just a quick follow up. I got my first jab of Pfizer on Friday around noon. I did not have any kava that day (or anything else). My arm was a bit sore on Friday right after the shot but not bad. On Saturday by mid-day it was pretty sore and hurt pretty bad. I don't usually have any reaction to jabs. I did drink a small amount of kava (maybe 4TBS) on Saturday evening. By Sunday my arm was just fine and I continued with my usual 8-10 TBS/day. I can't say if it was an issue, but I don't think so. I will follow up in 3 weeks when I get my second jab. I hear that one can be a real doozy for 12-24hrs after words.
I have had the second Pfizer shot. No ill effects for me and I continued my regimen of 8tbs with no problems.