What's new

Kava and depression

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
It definitely can. I have heard of others mentioning this on here as well. Over-doing it usually brings me down some the next day, especially if I have enough to worry about. While I don't want to guarantee this, it's possible that a lighter more "heady" variety of Kava could not have this effect, but I can't make any promises there as I've always stuck to my usual heavy sleepy varieties of Kava. Might have to do some testing sometime.

D

Deleted member 9642

I also wondered this question.
Especially, if these MAOI and norepinephrine properties could induce some kind of "rebound effect"?

Forretressqt

Kava Curious
I'm interested to see if there's any further replies on depression; to add my anectode I was diagnosed with OCD last year which came with plenty of anxiety and mental health symptoms (the diagnosis was much to my suprise for what it's worth, I thought I was just weird, I'm fine now :) ) and Kava never influenced my mental health symptoms- this was also when I was taking Escitalopram.

Kavacus

Kava Enthusiast
In my case it might, slightly, but the anxiolytic effect overrides it. I like the feeling of relaxation that comes, even though I know it will last only a short time-but I do know that it will happen for sure. It was the same with alcohol, but kava has little to no side effects (dry skin? dermo? tsh! big deal.). But logically it would seem that the heavier kavas would be somewhat of a depressant, again much like alcohol-depends on your unique depression profile my friend. I feel you and empathize with you fully.

Good vibes your way, and Peace!

Kavacus

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
It affects mine for sure. For me it's down to the daily consumption...i usually have a good couple months, then that meaninglessness/emptiness/depletion escalates in my sessions and for about half a day after, the intensity directly correlates with kanikani too. I've noticed it more graphically on the headies, personally. when I'm able to (rarely) take a couple weeks off, it all resets and I can enjoy kava again. if I was able to moderate and have 3 times a week doubt it would be an issue. But addictive tendencies, etc. I use kava instead of worse things.

Valyn

Kava Curious
Can kava exacerbate depression? It kinda seems like it for me personally.

Thanks,
Matthew
Yeah I've gone through this many times and found certain cultivars, strains, and chemotypes make things better.

You also have to consider the medication you take since kava can interact with it. For example, the kava I drank in the past replaced the gabapentin and made my gaba receptors kinda upset.

I feel better now because I learned what kava works and how to take my meds with it.

Using kava is a learning process.

I remember using one kava. Won't mention it's name. But it was literally a bad tasting bag of depression.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
For me, if I use it everyday for a week or 2 then it makes it worse. I go back to baseline after ~3 days of stopping. In my situation, kava is best used infrequently. I haven't had any since April, no cravings, no dependence issues-- forgot it existed for the most part. Looking to ease back into it during the colder months.

Valyn

Kava Curious
For me, if I use it everyday for a week or 2 then it makes it worse. I go back to baseline after ~3 days of stopping. In my situation, kava is best used infrequently. I haven't had any since April, no cravings, no dependence issues-- forgot it existed for the most part. Looking to ease back into it during the colder months.
I'm starting to believe this too. I've been drinking kava everyday for the last two months and noticed a slight decrease in effects. I might have to take a few days off or a week. My skin is also getting scaly and dry, but I do feel healthy.

Valyn

Kava Curious
I would say that it seems unlikely someone would become depressed from say, BFK Lawena, or other lawenas in general. They seem light, heady, and you can usually drink more of it and not feel side effects.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Slight medium-term sedative effects might be counterproductive in that jaded type (vs anxious type) depression, no?