What's new

Kava and Kidney Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I just went to the doctor and was told that my creatinine levels were elevated enough that they might indicate some kidney damage. Does anyone know if kava can damage the kidneys? I probably have also been chronically dehydrated since I stared drinking kava, as well. But the doctor indicated that it was more likely that it was a toxic substance rather than dehydration alone.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
That sucks man. I'm sure that kava can stress the kidneys but I wouldn't think to the degree that it would look to your doctor as though you'd been exposed to a toxic substance. Do you drink alcohol or take any medications in the past couple of years? Over the counter NSAIDS can wreak havoc on your organs. And for what it's worth, do you drink lots of water and eat/drink plenty of electrolytes?

I take milk thistle almost every day and I have not had any bad test results or anything. I posted a good while back about getting pains in my kidney area. I cannot say what the cause of the pain truly was, it could have been kidney, muscle, or a spot where a possible intestinal blockage was creating pain. However, it did persist for a long time off and on and it got worse with dehydration. it went away on its own for a couple months and returned again for a couple months (not daily, but often) The pain has not returned since I started taking milk thistle, and it's been a long while. Its got studies backing up it's safety profile and efficacy in taking stress off of the body's detoxifying organs (Liver, kidney, gallbladder to some extent.) You should probably take a break from kava to get things sorted out but if you end up drinking more kava I think milk thistle is something that should be in every kava or alcohol drinker's routine.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I just went to the doctor and was told that my creatinine levels were elevated enough that they might indicate some kidney damage. Does anyone know if kava can damage the kidneys? I probably have also been chronically dehydrated since I stared drinking kava, as well. But the doctor indicated that it was more likely that it was a toxic substance rather than dehydration alone.
How high are your creatinine levels? I've drank a lot of kava and mine have been within normal range every time it's tested.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I just went to the doctor and was told that my creatinine levels were elevated enough that they might indicate some kidney damage. Does anyone know if kava can damage the kidneys?
Do you use a creatine supplement such as creatine monohydrate? Or eat protein bars with CM as an ingredient? CM will give a false reading on the health of your kidneys. If you have been consuming CM or similar, lay off for a few days and then have your kidney function re-tested.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
That sucks man. I'm sure that kava can stress the kidneys but I wouldn't think to the degree that it would look to your doctor as though you'd been exposed to a toxic substance. Do you drink alcohol or take any medications in the past couple of years? Over the counter NSAIDS can wreak havoc on your organs. And for what it's worth, do you drink lots of water and eat/drink plenty of electrolytes?

I take milk thistle almost every day and I have not had any bad test results or anything. I posted a good while back about getting pains in my kidney area. I cannot say what the cause of the pain truly was, it could have been kidney, muscle, or a spot where a possible intestinal blockage was creating pain. However, it did persist for a long time off and on and it got worse with dehydration. it went away on its own for a couple months and returned again for a couple months (not daily, but often) The pain has not returned since I started taking milk thistle, and it's been a long while. Its got studies backing up it's safety profile and efficacy in taking stress off of the body's detoxifying organs (Liver, kidney, gallbladder to some extent.) You should probably take a break from kava to get things sorted out but if you end up drinking more kava I think milk thistle is something that should be in every kava or alcohol drinker's routine.
I have also gotten that "pain" well more so flank pain.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Do you use a creatine supplement such as creatine monohydrate? Or eat protein bars with CM as an ingredient? CM will give a false reading on the health of your kidneys. If you have been consuming CM or similar, lay off for a few days and then have your kidney function re-tested.
Yeah, I do take creatine monohydrate and had taken some that morning. The doctor didn't seem to think that would normally elevate it that much. I guess I'm gonna just have to get a few more tests and experiment with things to figure out what's going on.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast

I doubt I drink enough alcohol for that to be the cause. I drink alcohol 1-2 times/week, if even that (I'm stuck in a very small town for work and the bar is the only place where I can go and talk to real people without having to drive an hour or more). I also gave in to three professionals' urgings and started a taking lexapro a couple weeks ago. I have taken NSAIDS, but not really much for about a year. I'm probably not drinking nearly enough water. I usually end up drinking kava pretty late at night and just don't want to down the amount of water I should be drinking right before bed. Plus, it's gotten pretty hot here and I've been jogging more lately (since I've figured out that high doses of heady kava are to be avoided during the day if I want to exercise).

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I am by no means an expert in this matter, I found an interesting article that may support some of the comments from above;
Temporary elevated levels may occur, regardless of kidney function, due to taking certain supplements or medications, dehydration, consuming large amounts of meat or protein or through building muscle through heavy weight training.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/124482-causes-high-creatinine-levels/

tonyd

Kava Curious
Yeah: creatine supplementation, dehydration, some weight training, and eating a lot of meat all probably apply lately. But, of course, the doctors always want to get rid of kava, first thing.
I've had the same experience and once I was off the creatine for 30 days or so everything went back to normal. Never changed the kava intake, only the creatine. Also kept the weight training schedule and protein intake the same. For good measure I tried the creatine six months later and ended up with the elevated creatinine levels again. Same result when I stopped the creatine.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've had the same experience and once I was off the creatine for 30 days or so everything went back to normal. Never changed the kava intake, only the creatine. Also kept the weight training schedule and protein intake the same. For good measure I tried the creatine six months later and ended up with the elevated creatinine levels again. Same result when I stopped the creatine.
Did you ever go back on creatine? Is it a "false positive," or a sign that the supplement is actually straining the kidneys? Did you re-test earlier than 30 days, such that it actually took 30 days to get back down, or did you just wait 30 days and test again?

tonyd

Kava Curious
Did you ever go back on creatine? Is it a "false positive," or a sign that the supplement is actually straining the kidneys? Did you re-test earlier than 30 days, such that it actually took 30 days to get back down, or did you just wait 30 days and test again?
Eventually due to pressure from the doc and more so the WIFE, I stopped the creatine completely. To be honest the doc wasn't really concerned by the creatinine levels once I told him I use creatine daily. I used the 30 days myself to see if the creatine was the culprit. I really did not want to quit the creatine so I quit for a month to see what the labs would look like. When they were back to normal I knew the creatine was the issue. I did the off/on creatine experiment several times just to be certain.

Last edited:

Crunked

Proselytizer
Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
For anyone interested in the effect of consuming creatine monohydrate and it mimicking acute kidney injury see:
https://startingstrength.com/articl...erum-creatinine-mimicking-acute-kidney-injury
https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-26
My recollection is that .045g per kg of bodyweight is a safe daily dose. For example, .045x74 = 3.33g. That's what I take anyway. :D
Interesting! I think I am above that amount. Actually probably double it on some days. I usually take 5 grams; but my protein powder has creatine mixed into it, and I don't really pay much attention to that. I always just thought taking too much was just a waste of money; not that it could be harmful. Maybe I should just use the protein powder and not take any additional creatine (or stop both for awhile).

Last edited:

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Eventually due to pressure from the doc and more so the WIFE, I stopped the creatine completely. To be honest the doc wasn't really concerned by the creatinine levels once I told him I use creatine daily. I used the 30 days myself to see if the creatine was the culprit. I really did not want to quit the creatine so I quit for a month to see what the labs would look like. When they were back to normal I knew the creatine was the issue. I did the off/on creatine experiment several times just to be certain.
Was is only your creatinine level that was elevated? My BUN level was slightly elevated too, but not nearly as much as the creatinine.

Status
Not open for further replies.