What's new

Kava and Kidney Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Kava Curious
@SelfBiasResistor FYI: I just checked my chart. My creatinine was at 1.3, not 1.7.
So Creatinine was 1.3 (range reference = .6-1.2) and the BUN was at 19 (range reference = 7-18)
Hey bro just checked my old labs and the creatinine was 1.3 also. 30 days off the creatine it was down to .85 FYI: I was taking @ 6 grams daily along with 120-150 grams of whey protein. BUN was 18 down to 12 after 30 days off. Similar numbers when I went back on and off several times the following 12 months. Also the liver numbers were never out of range.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
@SelfBiasResistor FYI: I just checked my chart. My creatinine was at 1.3, not 1.7.
So Creatinine was 1.3 (range reference = .6-1.2) and the BUN was at 19 (range reference = 7-18)
Update.
I've been taking a break from kava to figure out my kidney situation. I have continued to take creatine, but have been much more careful not to exceed 4-5 grams/day. I've only drank grog one time in the last few weeks. Just did a follow-up blood test.
My Creatinine level is now at 1.1 (.6-1.2) and my BUN level is now at 18 (7-18). So they've both dropped to the top of the normal range. I will probably slowly start to drink more grog now and have it checked again later. I might not go back to drinking every single day, though, as I've been really enjoying the increased energy and have have been jogging daily; I kinda like that (though, knowing my personality, I won't be overly surprised if I slip into daily drinking (grog) again). I've probably been better hydrated too.

It's interesting that it was only a minor drop; given the near total cessation of kava while continuing creatine. I'll be curious to see what happens as I add kava back in.

Last edited:

Crunked

Proselytizer
As long as you are taking creatine monohydrate your kidney function test will give you a false reading. If you resume drinking kava and continue to use CM you will continue to get a false reading. The only way to get an accurate reading is to cease consuming creatine monohydrate for several days (either with or without kava).

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
As long as you are taking creatine monohydrate your kidney function test will give you a false reading. If you resume drinking kava and continue to use CM you will continue to get a false reading. The only way to get an accurate reading is to cease consuming creatine monohydrate for several days (either with or without kava).
So is it actually a false reading, or is the creatine actually stressing/damaging my kidneys? One of my goals was to demonstrate to myself that kava wasn't the issue. I'm in the normal range now so I'm not immediately worried. But I would like to know if the creatine could cause damage.

I'll plan to completely drop creatine for a few days before my next blood test.

Status
Not open for further replies.