What's new

Kava and Nasal Congestion

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
So I’ve been using kava nightly for over a decade. I use it for anxiety, stress and just to help slow my brain down and get some solid sleep. The last year I’ve been noticing most kavas cause my nasal passages to jam up within an hour of drinking kava. It’s getting to the point of effecting my sleep by not being able to breathe through my nose. Sometimes my nose is still clogged when I wake up. All other times of the day I can breathe fine. Has anyone had nasal issues from kava and found a solution?
I don’t really want to use some antihistamines or any otc meds. I’d rather try non pharmaceuticals to see if they help first.

owen099

Kava Curious
I'm curious about this because I get a little congested too! Only a little bit though, personally. Unfortunately I have no solutions...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
So I’ve been using kava nightly for over a decade. I use it for anxiety, stress and just to help slow my brain down and get some solid sleep. The last year I’ve been noticing most kavas cause my nasal passages to jam up within an hour of drinking kava. It’s getting to the point of effecting my sleep by not being able to breathe through my nose. Sometimes my nose is still clogged when I wake up. All other times of the day I can breathe fine. Has anyone had nasal issues from kava and found a solution?
I don’t really want to use some antihistamines or any otc meds. I’d rather try non pharmaceuticals to see if they help first.
I have allergy and sinus problems but I don't think it is related to kava. It is possible that is the case for you too. If so, what I use is Flonase, a humidifier, and I try to drink more water than most. It all helps, I have to use a nasal decongestant once in a while, like Afrin.

It's worth mentioning that I didn't always have allergy problems, but it is a common thing for many people, as we age.