What's new

Kava and Okra

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
A few months ago their was a post on r/kava about how one of their friends from Micronesia mixes with okra. Okra is suppose to be similar to sea hibiscus, I guess.

I decided to try it out and see if there is anything to it. I have made 3 mixes with okra and I find myself to prefer it now. It makes the grog taste pretty much the same, but the thickness and slimness somehow make it better.

I would be really curious if anyone else tries this, I just bought a $3 frozen bag of okra and use like 6 whole ones per 8 tbsp and 1.5 liter. The mix is almost non-Newtonian.

It may make it stronger as I have not been able to finish the last two mixes with only one wash! But to me it is still to early to tell if it increases any sort of effects or extraction.

Looking forward to hearing other people experiences if they are willing to give it a shot.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
A few months ago their was a post on r/kava about how one of their friends from Micronesia mixes with okra. Okra is suppose to be similar to sea hibiscus, I guess.

I decided to try it out and see if there is anything to it. I have made 3 mixes with okra and I find myself to prefer it now. It makes the grog taste pretty much the same, but the thickness and slimness somehow make it better.

I would be really curious if anyone else tries this, I just bought a $3 frozen bag of okra and use like 6 whole ones per 8 tbsp and 1.5 liter. The mix is almost non-Newtonian.

It may make it stronger as I have not been able to finish the last two mixes with only one wash! But to me it is still to early to tell if it increases any sort of effects or extraction.

Looking forward to hearing other people experiences if they are willing to give it a shot.
Do ypu mean- blending the raw okra with the kava, then straining?

Or just adding to the bag whole for traditional prep?

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Do ypu mean- blending the raw okra with the kava, then straining?

Or just adding to the bag whole for traditional prep?
I just threw 6 whole okra pods into the strainer with kava. It makes for quite the squeeze, my forearms started burnin

TheKavaFlow

Kava Podcaster
Ok this is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard about kava, and you make me want to try it so bad.

But I've got to say, on first thought, it sounds so utterly repulsive. I'll return and report my findings!

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I cannot wait to hear another veteran kava drinker to give an opinion on this. I am more and more convinced this help extract more kavalactones or something. Unless the last few days have been flukes...
As for the taste it really doesn't make it worse or better.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
A friend of a friend told me that if you strain your kava through a Ghurka's jock strap then it tastes much better.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Coincidentally I have recently begun chasing my cups of fresh 'awa beverage with an okra pod (?).
Just because it is available.
I cannot honestly say there was any enhancement. We do know that the resinous substance in tree hibiscus
indeed enhances some of the benefits of kava. Is it the same substance? I don't know.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I get that it is a gross idea.. I did too. I am simply spreading what I have discovered with it and thought it was worthy of a post to kavaforums, as it does seem to replicate a traditional and proven beneficial way of drinking kava with sea hibiscus.

The idea came from some people native to Micronesia so maybe just shutting the idea down isn't the best for the kava community. If you don't want to try it that is obviously fine but negative criticism, with not even trying it, adds no value.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I get that it is a gross idea.. I did too. I am simply spreading what I have discovered with it and thought it was worthy of a post to kavaforums, as it does seem to replicate a traditional and proven beneficial way of drinking kava with sea hibiscus.

The idea came from some people native to Micronesia so maybe just shutting the idea down isn't the best for the kava community. If you don't want to try it that is obviously fine but negative criticism, with not even trying it, adds no value.
Hey, thanks for being the guinea pig and trying this out. I was wondering about it to when we saw wakacon's post on reddit.

You never know until you try!

Now, time to get some hibiscus bark :)

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor

I get what you're saying and I wasn't trying to be completely negative so much as just mildly amusing. I'm still not trying it though ;-)

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
This a cool thread and exemplifies some of the coolness of KF, imo. Even if such coolness necessarily involves some, to our subjective minds, weirdness. I'm never trying this okra thing. ;); that is, until I have okra at home and curiosity inevitably sets in. Do you think fresh okra will also work? Better?

There are other mucilaginous foods out there. I wonder if they have a similar effect. I'm off to go apply for the KavaSlime TM. Kidding, mostly.

Last edited: