What's new

Kava and Rhodiola Rosea

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
I know from the forums search that some people here have used Rhodiola. Are there any known interactions with kava? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
No experiences or studies? I'm sure someone has the knowledge here.
This guy seems to know something about it. @Stefan
quoting him from another thread;
I use adaptogens along side kava with no alcohol. And especially Rhodiola, Mucuna, and Tongkat Ali can give an energy boost like nothing I've tried and each day you're taking it only increases in effect for like 14 days then goes steady with slower improvements. I actually have to remind myself to rest because my mind gets tired before my body. Other to recommend would be Bacopa and Ashwagandha. Can increase attention, memory and actually increases synaptogenesis the formation of new synapses (dendrital prolifiration) so you can reprogram old patterns of behavior. Old yogis used this alongside yoga in India, and in large doses this stuff is just crazy as much as one suddenly can recognize of ones own patterns in behavior, emotions and thought. Makes me need less kava also which is nice, which is my point here. as well

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
Thanks @Krunʞy , I found that thread already, but it doesn't really answer my question. I found out that Rhodiola is a reversible MAOI, and I don't know if this interferes with the metabolization of kava in the liver. I'd be interested in studies regarding the interaction between Rhodiola and kava, but I start to think that there are none, unfortunately.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Thanks @Krunʞy , I found that thread already, but it doesn't really answer my question. I found out that Rhodiola is a reversible MAOI, and I don't know if this interferes with the metabolization of kava in the liver. I'd be interested in studies regarding the interaction between Rhodiola and kava, but I start to think that there are none, unfortunately.
I bet @Kapmcrunk would be able to comment there, he has become our own personal kava encyclopedia..:D

Gonna make him an extra banner dubbed "Kava Researcher"

Stefan

Kava Curious
I don't think there should be any worries there. The reverse MAOI effects from Rhodiola is very vague, and I've been using both for years now and have been tested a while ago with no liverrelated issues. Only sodiumcontent was too high, as I do enjoy some salt in my food. Although mucuna pruriens especially extracted can create dopaminsickness when taken with large dose kava. A friend of mine got horribly sick for hours after me feeding this to him at my own dosages at the time.