What's new

Kava and sleep

TJrriffic

Porkchop Express Driver
Hihi. Lots of people talk about how certain kavas help them pass out like rocks for some solid sleep. I havent had this yet and have been drinking daily for months.
While I enjoy a few shells here and there, I mostly drink to get away so it's quite a bit more. Like crossed eyes more. I understand the other factors, such as time stopped drinking and eating right before I rack out come into play, but I have tested that. Get home from work, drink my fill of grog, eat sometime after, and then sleep a few hours after. Same ending. I'm up pondering anything and everything. No brakes on the thoughts running. I even feel sleepy getting into bed only to lie there just caught up in my thoughts.
Anyone else?
Nangol noble, stone, and fiji vanua recently.
Thanks!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hihi. Lots of people talk about how certain kavas help them pass out like rocks for some solid sleep. I havent had this yet and have been drinking daily for months.
While I enjoy a few shells here and there, I mostly drink to get away so it's quite a bit more. Like crossed eyes more. I understand the other factors, such as time stopped drinking and eating right before I rack out come into play, but I have tested that. Get home from work, drink my fill of grog, eat sometime after, and then sleep a few hours after. Same ending. I'm up pondering anything and everything. No brakes on the thoughts running. I even feel sleepy getting into bed only to lie there just caught up in my thoughts.
Anyone else?
Thanks!
I would suggest for your next purchase, whenever that comes around, Gourmet Hawaiian Kava - Nene. It's almost devoid of heady aspects. I would wonder how that one would treat you.

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Anyone else?
Thanks!
I just trief KS Borongoru this past week.

I had already read an emphatic account of it really helping one person sleep much better.

I think possibly, the Borongoru may be the most effective I have tried yet, at enabling me to sleep deep and long, even many hours after last ingestion.

Kava soon before sleep doesn't really work that way for me, it is still mentally, even physically stimulating.

Kava evokes consciousness, reflection, awareness. So with effects fresh or just coming on, it's not always conducive to just...dropping off.

A full session, followed by a meal, and then sleep, may work better.

The Borongoru may also be worth a try. It doesn't make me feel lethargic and unmotivated like Stone, it's not at all racy, just deeply comforting and warmly.

BobBriggs

Kava Curious
Kava quite often interferes with my sleep if I have it later than say 7 or even earlier. It isn't so much it keeps me awake at first, but I wake (which is quite normal with me) and can't get back to sleep. I don't have racing thoughts though. This is one reason I try to drink my kava in the afternoon when I get the chance.

I find mulungu actually better for sleep short term, even than antihistamines. The only thing better I have used in valium or xanax, but that's a bad idea if used more than occasionally (which is also when I have it - I'm a bad flyer and save the rest for occasional sleep aids. The former is much better for sleep, I find, but the latter for flying).

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Kava quite often interferes with my sleep if I have it later than say 7 or even earlier. It isn't so much it keeps me awake at first, but I wake (which is quite normal with me) and can't get back to sleep. I don't have racing thoughts though. This is one reason I try to drink my kava in the afternoon when I get the chance.

I find mulungu actually better for sleep short term, even than antihistamines. The only thing better I have used in valium or xanax, but that's a bad idea if used more than occasionally (which is also when I have it - I'm a bad flyer and save the rest for occasional sleep aids. The former is much better for sleep, I find, but the latter for flying).
5htp is very useful here too as a simple, effective remedy to really help stay asleep better, more restfully through the night, taken at bedtime, about 90mg I think.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
@TJrriffic try some different kavas as some are better than others and or will hit you differently. I find any heavy Fijian is really good for me, Superior Fijian from ROH. Stone should have helped but maybe if you drink more balanced to heady kavas usually it might not. A few days of drinking only heavy kava should work.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
Kava helps me get to sleep, but like you said, I usually wake up shortly after. When I take a break I have really vivid dreams, so I assume it interferes with rem. I actually get a better quality sleep without kava. Also waking up is harrrrrrd. Reminds me of certain ssris where I just want to lie in bed all day after I wake up and have to force myself to get up. Cest la vie.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Kava helps me get to sleep, but like you said, I usually wake up shortly after. When I take a break I have really vivid dreams, so I assume it interferes with rem. I actually get a better quality sleep without kava. Also waking up is harrrrrrd. Reminds me of certain ssris where I just want to lie in bed all day after I wake up and have to force myself to get up. Cest la vie.
If you drink heavy kava reasonably regularly then taking a b vitamin supplement is a good idea because these are flushed out by your increased liquid consumption. I find I can drink heavy kava every day and not get excessive lethargy, etc.

Jacob Bula

Nobody
If you drink heavy kava reasonably regularly then taking a b vitamin supplement is a good idea because these are flushed out by your increased liquid consumption. I find I can drink heavy kava every day and not get excessive lethargy, etc.
Do most people find this is true? I was under the impression that heavy kavas would be more likely to cause lethargy/depression due to the slowing down of the system, but that's just theoretical. I haven't drunk many heady kavas.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Do most people find this is true? I was under the impression that heavy kavas would be more likely to cause lethargy/depression due to the slowing down of the system, but that's just theoretical. I haven't drunk many heady kavas.
Yes, the people that I speak to do tend to find the same. It's a low level of b vitamins that can lead to lethargy, not so much depression and with the heavy kls floating around the next morning too you're really going to feel it. I just take a b vitamin complex that has 100% of each type, not the high dose ones and it makes a difference.