What's new

Kava and Workplace Productivity/Creativity

Kavafied

Kava Vendor
It's been common for a long time now in Silicon Valley or the Teach industry in general to have a few drinks of alcohol at work to boost morale, increase productivity, and develop a creative edge. Over the past few years I've noticed this trend to catch on nationally and be featured in various scholarly articles and editorials.

I find Kava to be a great tool to use when brainstorming with large groups of people.
Have there been studies done with Kava use in a workplace environment like the following done with alcohol?
http://www.businessinsider.com/having-a-drink-or-two-at-work-could-boost-your-productivity-2012-3
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/23/alcohol-creativity-the-problem-solver_n_6368810.html
http://www.fastcompany.com/3010393/leadership-now/does-drinking-beer-make-you-more-creative

I feel like this would be a great angle to use to promote the image of Kava.
My hypothesis would be that a group of workers on Kava would outperform groups of workers on coffee / alcohol / control when tasked with a group project that requires a creative solution.

D

Deleted User01

Not sure about group think. I do use Kava in the afternoon to jump start the middle of the day. I'm a programmer but I don't feel any creative juices flowing. Just a better attitude when I'm losing motivation. Well let us know what you find out as you go forward.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I'm in IT and we also have booze at the office. Helps people feel like they're not working as much, but it certainly does the opposite. "Just stay here and have a drink instead of leaving!"

I can't use Kava while working. I become incredibly lazy and tired after a shell or two.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I can't really say as to what it's effects would be, but I've always thought if I do end up starting a business, there will be kegerator full of Kalm on tap at the very least.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I think the community aspect of traditional kava drinking, especially within a given village, to map pretty well to the kind of tech-tribalism that modern companies cultivate. I can see kava being a tremendous asset. Definitely better than just alcohol.

Kava helps you listen to other people without snapping to judgment, and having spent 20 years in tech companies, I can say that this would be a tremendous boon since many times group dialogues end up being less about listening between your own commentary and others' and more about reformulating your own opinions while others speak.

It's an interesting idea, @PacIsleKava, and I think, based on my experience, it would be a fantastic tool for helping teams gell, bond, discuss opposing opinions, all the while trying to extricate the best ideas from the group as a whole.

Winning Shenanigans

Kava Curious
I had a second job as a waiter at the end of last year, and my tips where way better and my boss complimented me whenever I drank a bit of heady kava, now I have more of a creative job in a consulting firm and drinking more than a shell just kills productivity so I just enjoy it after work.

sumguy

Kava Enthusiast
There was one software company I worked for close to 15 years ago that had free alcohol (along with ice cream and soda) on Friday afternoons, just before quitting time. But I've never worked for a company that allowed such things during work hours. But then, I'm not in California... :cool:

-33-

Trailer Park Boys - watch it on netflix!
Funny you should mention this, I was just pondering this a few hours ago... I find my creativity goes up substantially after a small amount of kava. BUT... it goes down with a large amount :)

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
Funny you should mention this, I was just pondering this a few hours ago... I find my creativity goes up substantially after a small amount of kava. BUT... it goes down with a large amount :)
Yes.. I agree totally. Whenever I drink kava with an old friend we discuss the topic of the day with enthuisiasm, ideas popping up all the time, but only over the first 2-3 shells. Then after that we get distracted by things like trees, shadows, or people walking around and the creativity dries up.
Maybe keep a weak mix in the office tanoa, but save the real mix for after hours.