What's new

Kava as an Alcohol Substitute: Please post your experiences.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I have a close family member that I wish would substitute kava for booze. He did for a good 6 months or so, during a 2 year period without alcohol, but then started drinking again after getting into a relationship with someone who indulges. He's improved a lot though compared to how he was before he took those two years. He claims he has been tempted to give kava another go to take a break from the booze but he's convinced he can't drink kava now because it gives him stomach issues. But when we were drinking it together for that time period, everything we were getting later turned out to be likely adulterated with tudei. He says now he can't even smell a bag of kava without his stomach turning. I think it is because he has alcohol still in his system though. It was great to drink kava with him and although he isn't a raging alcoholic, he does drink 5-12 strong beers per night and occasionally gets tipsy to where it's not fun to hang around him after a certain time in the evening because of the level he's on (im of course drinking kava)

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I have a close family member that I wish would substitute kava for booze. He did for a good 6 months or so, during a 2 year period without alcohol, but then started drinking again after getting into a relationship with someone who indulges. He's improved a lot though compared to how he was before he took those two years. He claims he has been tempted to give kava another go to take a break from the booze but he's convinced he can't drink kava now because it gives him stomach issues. But when we were drinking it together for that time period, everything we were getting later turned out to be likely adulterated with tudei. He says now he can't even smell a bag of kava without his stomach turning. I think it is because he has alcohol still in his system though. It was great to drink kava with him and although he isn't a raging alcoholic, he does drink 5-12 strong beers per night and occasionally gets tipsy to where it's not fun to hang around him after a certain time in the evening because of the level he's on (im of course drinking kava)
Don’t ya hate that? I have a similar scenario with a distant family member who only drinks beer and always has, never seen them drink water or anything else. When they stay with us, two people go through two cases of beer in two days, it’s actually pretty amazing. Back when I was a drinker it was not a big deal but when you are not hammered with them you get to see the phases they go through, their facial expressions, the slurring of speech. It disgusting when you view it from a clear mind even though you feel really good emotionally, and slightly wobbly, if that makes sense. It gets old real fast. Kava has taught me to respect alcohol not go cold turkey. I still enjoy it but the kava just wont let me drink a whole lot of alcohol, it takes care of me. That of course is when I do decide to have a few. The thing that gets me is that this person has insomnia really bad on top of alcoholism, and everytime I try to hook them up with the perfect kava for both, they turn it down. Almost like they don’t want something to help face their fears. I don’t get it.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
It was great to drink kava with him and although he isn't a raging alcoholic, he does drink 5-12 strong beers per night and occasionally gets tipsy to where it's not fun to hang around him after a certain time in the evening because of the level he's on (im of course drinking kava)
5-12 drinks per day is a serious problem with alcohol. Anything over 12/week is getting into problem territory.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I agree it is a problem, but I have to consider that he stopped blacking out and can maintain relationships fairly well now as a step in the right direction. I'd prefer he not drink at all of course.

Lmill999

I found Kava 6 months after I stopped drinking alcohol. I was a daily drinker for 5-6 years. I can’t think of a day that passed that I didn’t have at least one drink. Even though I had gone 6 months without alcohol I would still have strong cravings when life wasn’t going well. The kava has completely stopped the urges to drink alcohol.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
I found Kava 6 months after I stopped drinking alcohol. I was a daily drinker for 5-6 years. I can’t think of a day that passed that I didn’t have at least one drink. Even though I had gone 6 months without alcohol I would still have strong cravings when life wasn’t going well. The kava has completely stopped the urges to drink alcohol.
I can’t reiterate what you said enough. I tend to stray from resurrecting threads but when they have so much positivity it’s hard not to jump in.

Like others here I never started drinking Kava as an alcohol alternative, just as something else to try. I’m still very young but started developing strong alcoholic tendencies. Never missed work while continuing to succeed in my career, social life was relatively fine, but most days would end with fairly heavy consumption. It’s easy to see that there isn’t a problem when it’s not directly impacting my life, but this is what many go through before it becomes a problem. Luckily I fell into Kava at the perfect time.

For me there never is a desire to drink anymore on my own. I might enjoy an occasional glass of scotch purely for the taste but that’s incredibly rare. I no longer chase the feeling because it’s honestly nowhere near as relaxing and enjoyable as Kava. I can even go out with friends and drink responsibly;pacing myself while enjoying the company. If I could convince everyone else to switch over I’m not sure if I’d ever drink again, other than my rare glass of a good scotch.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Im going to jump in and say also kava has pretty much taken the desire to drink alcohol away.
We are over halfway through feb abd ive had alcohol on twice and not much of it either.
Previously it would be 2 or 3 days a week. On sunday afternoon we hosted a family do.mthere was a lot of cleaning shopping
Cooking to be done and by the afternoon when it was about 2 hours away, for the first time in weeks i really fancied a drink.
Social anxiety maybe? But instead i had 2 shells of kava over an hour. And then never thought of it again. Others even drank
I dont think i noticed. Its like im a take itmor leave it person now. Nothing short of a miracle.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Im going to jump in and say also kava has pretty much taken the desire to drink alcohol away.
We are over halfway through feb abd ive had alcohol on twice and not much of it either.
Previously it would be 2 or 3 days a week. On sunday afternoon we hosted a family do.mthere was a lot of cleaning shopping
Cooking to be done and by the afternoon when it was about 2 hours away, for the first time in weeks i really fancied a drink.
Social anxiety maybe? But instead i had 2 shells of kava over an hour. And then never thought of it again. Others even drank
I dont think i noticed. Its like im a take itmor leave it person now. Nothing short of a miracle.
That's the ticket! Bravo!

For me the beauty is I don't even have any desire to drink alcohol or feel like I'm missing out. I just don't care about alcohol, one way or another. Doesn't even show up on the radar and it took no effort on my part.

I would just much prefer kava. It's better in so many ways, like, all of them, approximately.

ProjectK

Kava Enthusiast
I really wanted to get into fitness and lose some weight. I only drink on the weekends when im off work. I decided to look back into kava and sucessfully lost almost 40 lbs in 5 months. Ofcourse i was eating better so it wasnt only due to that, but that was a major contributor i would like to think. Some people dont realize how much alcohol affects fitness goals.

Hi guys - I'm new here and just ordered some real Kava.

I am looking to replace alcohol during social events. For some reason, as of late, I lose my voice quickly when I drink and I always end up drinking way more than I intended. The next day I am useless, depressed, and my behaviour is downright self-destructive. It would be awesome if I could just take kava to feel comfortable in a social situation without the need to have a beer constantly in my hand. How would you advise to use kava during such situations? The effects kinda wear off after some while, so how do you ensure you are still on the right level? I've ordered both the root itself and micronized kava. Thanks a lot!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi guys - I'm new here and just ordered some real Kava.

I am looking to replace alcohol during social events. For some reason, as of late, I lose my voice quickly when I drink and I always end up drinking way more than I intended. The next day I am useless, depressed, and my behaviour is downright self-destructive. It would be awesome if I could just take kava to feel comfortable in a social situation without the need to have a beer constantly in my hand. How would you advise to use kava during such situations? The effects kinda wear off after some while, so how do you ensure you are still on the right level? I've ordered both the root itself and micronized kava. Thanks a lot!
Slow and steady shelling does the trick for social settings. You prep the grog weak enough that you can match their pace. You feel great and stay clear headed the whole time and no hangovers! People are very accepting of this, you'll be surprised, just don't share with them as alcohol and kava don't mix well but invite them to shell some kava with you on another day when they aren't drinking.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
I would add to krunkies good advice. For anxiety, which i know a bit about. Get used to kava first at home when relaxed. Before relying on it at a party. Then when your ready, personally i would chug a shell or two before going maybe one to two hours
Then top up by sipping a weak kava. And dont worry about too much, eat something and you recover from the edge real quick.
But keep the anti anxiety effects.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Lately I’ll do a few shells before going out, and then keep a mason jar of grog in my car to go drink as needed. I know bars specifically don’t allow outside beverages in, but I did alright sneaking it in my purse at a low key coffee shop.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Lately I’ll do a few shells before going out, and then keep a mason jar of grog in my car to go drink as needed. I know bars specifically don’t allow outside beverages in, but I did alright sneaking it in my purse at a low key coffee shop.
Hi, see my litle bottles in profile pic . They have a screw lid ,and a screw up and down sports bottle teat.
They seem very watertight and i take them out with me most days. Found them in with the baby bottles lol.

E

Elenora Montana

Before kava I drank liquor 7 days seven days. My rest was bad, I would frequently wake at 3.00 am and think that its hard to return to rest. When I woke for the day, typically around 5.30, I felt drained and discouraged. I currently drink kava 6-7 days a week and liquor on more than one occasion per month (on non-kava days). On kava I rest exceptionally well, I wakeful invigorated and anticipating the day. I am more loose amid the day. The distinction is chalk and cheddar. I have additionally lost some weight (reward!).

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
It’s interesting. I’ve used Kava as a substitute/replacement for alcohol on and off for ten years. I currently live in Sudan, where alcohol is illegal. You actually do see a profound influence in people’s day to day life that is more positive when they don’t drink. America is an alcoholic culture, where we have normalized a powerful drug (alcohol) and made it seem crucial to social bonding. Whenever I’ve spiraled into long drinking periods, I’ve made poor decisions and often hurt my family and friends (emotionally). I have spent 6 months out of the past 12 completely sober. I don’t plan on going back to alcohol - ever.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Before kava I drank liquor 7 days seven days. My rest was bad, I would frequently wake at 3.00 am and think that its hard to return to rest. When I woke for the day, typically around 5.30, I felt drained and discouraged. I currently drink kava 6-7 days a week and liquor on more than one occasion per month (on non-kava days). On kava I rest exceptionally well, I wakeful invigorated and anticipating the day. I am more loose amid the day. The distinction is chalk and cheddar. I have additionally lost some weight (reward!).
Indeed! I’ve lost 10 pounds since I’ve moved to Sudan. I would say a lot of that is beer