What's new

Kava attack dose suggestions

kl.floatingnoodles

Kava Curious
I tried kava the other day for the first time. I used toss and wash method for two tablespoons and then took another half a tablespoon sublingually for about an hour. I bought boroguru root powder from BKH.

I plan on trying it via traditional methods in the future, but I am going to attempt an attack dose for my second time.  The two tbsp I downed with milk and water were not nearly as bad as some people made it sound. I definitely enjoyed the half a tbsp in my mouth, but I don't know how effective such a small amount is sublingually (although I realize most substances are more powerful this way). In my last experience, I would like to think I felt more social, but this could be chalked up to placebo effect. I am looking to feel it a bit stronger this time.

My plan for later today was to drink 5 tbsp  with milk and water. I will mix it in a water bottle and wait an hour before consumption. I will also be sucking on a teabag of kava afterwards (I definitely find the numbing to be very relaxing).  My last meal will have been 5 hours prior to consumption, so I think that should be enough time. I will be heading to a local lake tonight and just relaxing :). I was hoping to get some feedback on this and had a few questions:

1.Do you think any effects will be felt via consumption of milk+ 5 tbsp kava (I certainly don't expect anything extreme)?

2.Are there any dangers to my stomach from tossing and washing a large amount like this? I don't plan on shaking and tossing often.

3. Is there a high chance that I will get a skin condition using this method on the short term (less than a week of trials)?

Thanks.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
First off, thanks for the order. To answer your questions:

1. You should definitely get an effect from five tablespoons tossed and washed. Since you're not extracting the kavalactones through straining you get 100% of the kavalactones contained in the root and Boroguru is pretty potent. I will mention though that letting the mixture soak before drinking likely isn't necessary. We do this when straining to make sure the root fibers are fully saturated for efficient extraction, but there's really nothing to gain doing this if you're not straining. You could probably also get away with not starving yourself for a whole five hours. I can't go more than an hour or two without eating before throwing a tantrum, five would be tough. Your stomach should be sufficiently empty within a couple hours.

2. I wouldn't say there are any "dangers" to toss and wash, although some people experience nausea and/or cramps using this method. It really depends on the person.

3. There is a very low chance you'll have a skin condition develop. It does happen rarely but it isn't the end of the world if it does. If you stop drinking your skin will recover.

Hope that helps.