What's new

Kava bar workers unionizing?

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
As I'm combing through the scrollercoaster today, I find this:
https://twitter.com/@UKWL138

Its a twitter page for what appears to be a union of kava bar employees in NYC. I don't know any specifics but this sure jumped out at me. If workers are subject to unfair conditions, then power to them, but my first immediate thought is "why kava bars specifically?" If there is merit to this struggle, would it not simply be an extension of a larger struggle concerning the whole NYC service industry?

Is this catching on elsewhere? My first thought would be that most kava bars are too small to warrant this level of organization. I'd hate to see the emergence of mainland American kava bars threatened by a workers union formed to combat the practices of a few bars in NYC. Furthermore, I'd hate to hear about skilled kava bar workers losing their jobs because they were convinced to join an organization that claimed to help them, only to be replaced by untrained, unaffiliated workers doing a worse job at the same rate of pay.

Again, I just post this to get the word out there and see people's thoughts. I've never worked in the industry so I have no idea what the conditions are of workers or the folks that hire them.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
As I'm combing through the scrollercoaster today, I find this:
https://twitter.com/@UKWL138

Its a twitter page for what appears to be a union of kava bar employees in NYC. I don't know any specifics but this sure jumped out at me. If workers are subject to unfair conditions, then power to them, but my first immediate thought is "why kava bars specifically?" If there is merit to this struggle, would it not simply be an extension of a larger struggle concerning the whole NYC service industry?

Is this catching on elsewhere? My first thought would be that most kava bars are too small to warrant this level of organization. I'd hate to see the emergence of mainland American kava bars threatened by a workers union formed to combat the practices of a few bars in NYC. Furthermore, I'd hate to hear about skilled kava bar workers losing their jobs because they were convinced to join an organization that claimed to help them, only to be replaced by untrained, unaffiliated workers doing a worse job at the same rate of pay.

Again, I just post this to get the word out there and see people's thoughts. I've never worked in the industry so I have no idea what the conditions are of workers or the folks that hire them.
Whoa. Good find.

This is worrying, and you're logic is spot on. With such a small industry, it's concerning that there is even a need for this.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
Hey, I don't want to jump the gun here. I understand the value of unions for making sure workers are treated with agency and dignity. For all I know, there may be a few dodgy bars in NYC that aren't treating people like they should. I know the NYC service industry wouldn't be my first career choice.

My worry is that the sentiment would proliferate into other localities with kava bars who pay workers fairly. When it comes to how much worker representation is necessary, sometimes it really just comes down to a matter of philosophy. It's tricky though because these issues cost folks their livelihoods.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hey, I don't want to jump the gun here. I understand the value of unions for making sure workers are treated with agency and dignity. For all I know, there may be a few dodgy bars in NYC that aren't treating people like they should. I know the NYC service industry wouldn't be my first career choice.

My worry is that the sentiment would proliferate into other localities with kava bars who pay workers fairly. When it comes to how much worker representation is necessary, sometimes it really just comes down to a matter of philosophy. It's tricky though because these issues cost folks their livelihoods.
You're right. It could be due to one single location, and from reading through the facebook twitter page, it looks like that may be the case.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Señor Chuggs I would bet money that there are a litany of other unions that cover workers in similar service industries and it may just be that the kava bar industry lacked one at all. If that's the case, the first instance of an employer holding off on someones wages would be enough for it to strike the match. I believe that's what we're seeing here.

Unless the issues are rampant and pretty blatant I doubt we'll be seeing organization on a country wide scale. Then again, if the need arises, it very well could be a thing if we start seeing hundreds of Kava bars coming up with the same issues. Doubtful though.

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
You make a good point. Where I grew up, there was an understanding among minimum wage workers that some employers were just scummy. If you were getting shafted by The Man, your only recourse was to find a new minimum wage job and hope it got better. It makes sense that a high density locality like NYC would have more resources and momentum for people to organize. It's a shame to see our favorite root beverage might be peddled by establishments that don't provide fair treatment to the hands that knead it.