What's new

Kava Legacy Review Kava Boy - Hinehina

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Vendor Name : Kava Boy
Kava Type : Hinehina ("White" in Tongan)

Amount of Kava Used : 8
Measurement Unit : Tablespoons

Preparation Type : Traditional Soak & Knead
If Other Prep Type :

Kava Prep Details:
Warm water, tablespoon of oil, two paint strainers, knead for 10-15 min.

Mixer or water?: Water
Amount: 2 Cups

Taste: 1 - Very Mild. Buttery and creamy with just enough earthiness to remind you it's really kava. Damn near delicious, actually.

Euphoric Rank: 3 - Euphoric
Sedative Rank: 2 - Mildly Sedating
Muscle Relaxing Rank: 2 - Mildly Muscle Relaxing
Anxiolytic (Anti-Anxiety) Rank: 3 - Moderate anxiolytic effect

Review: For any newcomers, here's a quick disclaimer about me. I seem to have a fairly high tolerance to kava, kavain 'heady' strains typically react very weakly with me (compared to other people) and I'm usually very quick to get nausea and bloating from kava. (I'll probably start all my reviews with this)
This kava reminds me most of Mo'i from Hawai'i and Tongan Pride. The grind is very fine, the taste is mild and the effects are very light and seem to be mostly from Kavain. This is probably the most pronounced Kavain head-high I've felt yet. Although, it might be about the same as Tongan Pride. There are almost no negative effects on my stomach. About 45-60 minutes in, I find a smile on my face and tend to laugh easier at TV shows. When music is on, I notice my head bobbing to it without me even thinking about it. At this point I notice the fair to mild body relaxation and sedative aspects of it. This is it at it's best and it comes together nicely, ...but unfortunately it tapers off all too quickly. A slight anxiolytic effect lingers but by the time i go to sleep I'm just barely above baseline. It has almost none of the usual 'kava embrace' that lulls you comfortably into sleep, by the end of it. As much as I'm loving this kava, that's probably it's biggest downfall...how quickly the effects fade and that there's almost no added tranquility left on the tail-end.
I've really come to appreciate having heavier strains on hand because of this. I'd personally love to have this kava on hand at all times, as long as I have a heavier sedating strain to mix in at night. Unfortunately, my Boroguru is at someone elses house right now.
Kavaboy only sells 7 oz. bags for some reason. They are $15 which isn't too bad, not sure why they don't make 'em 8 oz. though!? Shipping is 6 dollars from Hawai'i and they ship quickly. If I had a local store that carried it for 15 bucks I'd buy it all the time. At my dosage, it only lasts me about 4 sessions. :/
*my number rankings could vary slightly from day to day.

edit: quickie review update: click here

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfortunately, my Boroguru is at someone elses house right now.
Same here! I think BKH kicked their speed one notch too far past overdrive.

I've been sending e-mails to kavaboy for a while to get them to join the forums. The kava they sell has always gotten high marks here. What was the grind of the kava like? Also now that i think about it, I'm going to add a grind description to the standardized forms.

D

Deleted User01

Nice review Chakas. You answered any questions I would have including price, shipping and so on. Good job old sport!

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
The grind was very fine. Using double paint strainers I still lose (or should I say gain?) a pretty good portion into my brew. In fact, I'm not really sure if the strength is actually do to the brew being strong or if so many of the fine particles slip through that I'm getting a stronger 'toss n wash' effect. What does get left behind in the strainer are noticeably little root slivers when I empty it out...but when i look at the unused dry stuff, it looks like its all powder. Pretty similar to Tongan Pride's grind. Only Mo'i was more powdery, of the things i've tried.

I also emailed with them a bit too, since I noticed they sell their product to other stores. I gave them a list of a few places near me that would be a good fit. I hope they land one...cuz i'll be all over it.

Last edited:

KavaBoy Hawaii

Kava Vendor
Glad you enjoyed our kava! The great thing about Tongan kava is that many of our people use it as a social drink so that you can drink for a few hours and still drive back home after you leave your kalapu "kava club". We are currently working on getting into more retailers in California. But for now you can always visit our website and we try to ship our orders as quickly as we get them. If you are ever interested in buying kava in bulk we also do that as well. 808-256-KAVA. Malo!

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Alright, KavaBoy made it to the forums! :joyful: Tasty stuff. I wish I had some right now. How does your bulk amount/pricing work ? If you don't mind sharing.

D

Deleted User01

Hey, Shakas might become a new Vendor if it buys a 55 gallon drum of Kava.

KavaBoy Hawaii

Kava Vendor
Haha! We sell kava in bulk at minimum of 25 lbs for $15/lb. Or you can buy a case of kava which is 24 of the 7oz bags for $200.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Welcome to the forum Kavaboy!!!:D We're so glad you joined us..and I for one must admit that I'm hopelessly in love with your kava chai!!!:hungry::woot:

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
375 clams for 25 pounds seems like a killer deal to me !! Shakas this must be music to your ears !!

D

Deleted User01

Heh, heh, heh. Come'on Shakas, admit it, that's a weeks supply for you. :ROFLMAO: The only thing holding you back is the other 500 Kavas that you want to try. Kava is good medicine but it's also fun.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is a great way to do it! We're all kava lovers here. The more, the better.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@KavaBoy Hawaii

Ahh yes...my parents brought me a bag of your Hinehina which I quickly told...well everyone here about. :LOL: It's the only Tongan kava that I'd go out of my way to buy again. You're in my top 3. I'm glad you made it to the forum.