What's new

Kava cocktails

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
What is your experience with Kava cocktails?

Where you replace the alcohol with a similar amount of kava.

What's the best practice? Making sure there is cream in the cocktail? For potency

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Perhaps if you're trying to make a super fruity drink? I've found that mixing Kava with anything that isn't herbal or fruit based has little to no appeal.. Ginger and Lime I like to mix with Kava. Which i guess would be a Dark and Stormy Kava style. But a Kava and Coke? Ehhh, doesn't have the same ring haha

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
What is your experience with Kava cocktails?

Where you replace the alcohol with a similar amount of kava.

What's the best practice? Making sure there is cream in the cocktail? For potency
There used to be this great kava cola that they sold here, you could try coconut water and coconut milk with some other stuff.

Jean

Kava Curious
In fact the cocktail and other "mixology" is a Western tradition. I have nothing against the fact to use product originating from other part of the world and to produce a new combination : who doesn't like spaghetti (noodles have their origin in Asia) with tomato sauce (tomato originates from America) that is now a famous Italian recipe ? My best kava drink is kava flavored with Lebkuchen syrup, the sweet spicy side of this syrup fits in my opinion perfectly the woody and peppery side of kava. It's Christmas at every gulp.
IMG_20210728_132546.jpg

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Where you would add a shot of vodka or something, you would add about 4oz of prepared kava at your desired strength. Then you mess with the ratios of the extras to get the taste close. Creamy and tiki style drinks work very well with kava. You can also make your own non alcoholic spiced rum and other stuff like that with herbs/spices steeped for awhile. you can do a google search for whatever flavor add on that usually has alcohol and there will likely be something.

Also, if you're looking into kava cocktails. Some of the BEST kava cocktail stuff i've had has been using lacto clerification. The theory behind it is that you add a lot of a base like milk or coconut mlk, add a acid like lime/lemon. Let the whey separate out then strain using a coffee filter. You end up with a super clear and very clean tasting kava cocktail. It has 0 earthyness and a tiny bit of mouth numb with just about the full effects of whatever u put in there. They're a pleasure to drink.