What's new

Kava & Coffee Combo Poll

On a scale from 1-5 how interested would you be in a product that combined coffee and kava?

• 5 - Very Interested. "I'd strongly consider buying and drinking that"

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • 4 - Somewhat Interested. "I'd try it, but I'd wait to see reviews"

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 3 - Indifferent. "I probably wouldn't buy it, but might try it if it were sent as a sample"

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • 2 - Not really interested. "Everybody has their thing, but this isn't for me"

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • 1 - Zero Interest. "No, that's something I would never consider mixing and shouldn't be mixed"

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

fijivanuakava

Kava Vendor
Bula.
Has anyone tried to mix kava with their coffee drink?
Interested in knowing what effects you got and what people's views are combining coffee and kava.
Thank you for your input.

Fushi88

Kava Enthusiast
Bula.
Has anyone tried to mix kava with their coffee drink?
Interested in knowing what effects you got and what people's views are combining coffee and kava.
Thank you for your input.
i've done it with non decaf coffee before so all I can really comment on is the taste.
And as far as that goes....they're better seperately in my opinon. Not a huge fan of the combo flavor.

But now that it's been mentioned, maybe I'll try it tomorrow :)

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Ive tried it and I'm not a fan. I know people at the kava clubs that use coffee as a Kava chaser and to also help them going to be able to drink kava allllllll night. The taste of both together isn't bad at all. If you are going for taste then I would consider decaf. But I do know a lot of people that love coffee and Kava together.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
I've never mixed them in one mug/shell but I generally like the combo of effects of taking one after another. I do however prefer tea as a combo, and I have mixed yerba mate and some micronized kava in one cup and thought it was great.

Last edited:

Ellviis

Kava Curious
Anytime I've attempted it I've ended up extremely overstimulated and gross.
Same. Samoa Ava from KWK is very mentally stimulating for me. I made the wrong decision of drinking a cup of coffee an hour later, because I didn’t sleep well the night before. My head was buzzing, and I felt agitated

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I've tried this. It is not that I am disinterested. Perhaps a top tier selection of light bodied coffees brewed to amber strength with a coffee to decaf coffee bean ratio of 30:70, would be fine with kava,traditionally prepared, instant, or fresh green. Perhaps. Coffee is quite dark and takes up a lot of resources in my body, especially working the digestive system, kidneys, ocular muscles and brain capillaries, sinuses, and adrenal glans.

I can confidently say I very infrequently add sweetner, even natural--such as honey--,to kava. Milk, occasionally, as well as almond milk or coconut water. These lipid rich milks are great for brewing coffee as well. Perhaps a carefully created lattee of coffee bean and kava root would please lovers of both.

Flavor wise, I find they overpower eachother competitively. In my body, I think they continue to fight for territory. Coffee and kava together dry me out at and I find the positive effects or sought out qualities of each plant are muted. For me. I can sometimes have a half cup of coffee, or a lightly brewed black tea with or after kava. The only source of caffeine that I seem to be able to smoothly integrate during a kava ceremony of my own is a nice cup of green tea.

Nonetheless, I treat myself to kava a couple mornings a week and one or two mornings I have coffee, so I am passionate about both. I also enjoy exploring blends of other herbs into eachother. Although my post does not support the discussion, I am glad to share my trials and experience with this and I hope your creativity will allow you to find a recipe that allows me to try kava and coffee prepared together and say, "yum". Good luck,

bula!

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Would not mix with Borongoru or Headhunter because these are for peace.

Would mix with Ono, Kadavu or Savusavu but I would say that kava as if potentiates coffee rather the other way around. So I'd just would take one cup instead of refraining or taking the usual two cups.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I find the combination of caffeine and kavalactones to be anxiety-inducing. For this reason, I see it as being counterproductive to mix coffee and Kava. But everyone is different.

I do like caffeine though. I usually drink three cups of tea throughout the work day (Twining’s Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, and Earl Grey) before switching to Kava around 3:00-5:00 PM. Coffee seems to have a fast burn to it and I don’t like the crash.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I wrote about this in another thread that I started, on the topic of flavoring kava.
I have begun to enjoy adding Decaf coffee, because the 2 are very complementary taste-wise.

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I stopped drinking coffee in the morning and went to green tea because it was affecting my sessions in the evening. Coffee and caffeine in general make me feel "anxious" with kava and its not a pleasant experience.

Aceofwands9

Kava Enthusiast
After some trial and error, I would like to reccomend that you use a balanced or heavy kava for the combo as heady kavas mixed with caffiene can give that gross overstimulated feeling others were talking about

avahZ

YAHWEH Shalom
i put cheap heady Kava in my cold brew. Not much, maybe a table spoon or two. This will last me a week. I do this for two reasons.

1: Heady kava helps boost the effect of caffein. Your mileage will vary. Kava has an odd effect on me anyway. I do not expect others to have the same biological reaction. Don’t use a heavy/body type, it defeat the intended purpose.

2: I can get terrible back muscle cramps and a small dose in the AM has been wonderfully effective in helping. Adding the two was just a lazy way to get 5 more minutes of sleep before work :)

Been doing this for years. Started out dropping a kava candy in but those are too yummy to waste in coffee. Used a lil 11yr Waka. That’s too high of a quality. Now I use a cheap Kona Kava Cocoa flavored.

Doubt I would buy it already done. I am sure the cost would be too limiting for the effect.

Also, there have been a few threads over the years on this same subject - y’all may want to do a search.

Last edited: