What's new

Kava Combined with Reishi Mushroom

GoWest86

Kava Curious
Hey, has anyone else ever tried combining Kava with Reishi mushroom? I combined a 2 tbsp aluball of Tongan kava with 1 sachet of Four Sigmatic Reishi Mushroom extract (1 gram total) and wow! It sent my stress packing quite a bit better than either one by itself. Seems like a pretty sweet combo . Also, are there any other combos anyone has tried? I have added some theanine to my Kava a couple of times and it added a little something but wasn't as special as adding reishi.

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
Cacao does something for sure. Cannot quite pinpoint what but definitely changes the session. It has to be the right type of cacao too.

Donwanagan

Kava Curious
Hey,
I have been very well aquainted with reishi in the past few years. It is a wonderful and amazing mushroom that has really impacted my life and helped me in ways similar to kava. I'm always really happy to meet others who know about it and it's even getting popular.

What's funny is i have been on and off with its use and on and off with heavy kava use, and i never tried mixing the two... until a few nights ago.
Basically took 1000mg of dual extracted reishi cap powder in capsule form after work, a few hours later used 1 tbsp of heavy ( not heady ) kava in my aluball and sipped a few small 'shells' ( i have a special cup i refer to as shells lol )

Let me say, totally kalming while sipping. Was listening to nujabes and browsing stuff online, a very successful relaxation session.
Prolonged reishi use tends to bring about a subtle sense of... 'wiseness' and constant patient calm to me. Kava is more immediate but even if i only drink it in evening i feel subtly more sound of mind in chaotic and stressful situations the next day without it.

But what really got me was the sleeeeeeep.
I didn't get knocked out by it anything. I went to bed as normal later on. What i mean is, kava has always effected my deep sleep in ways. And reishi has always effected my deep sleep in ways. I went to bed as normal but i feel i went straight into a deep deep sleep. Not really dream state, maybe i dreamt i can't remember.

But i guess my take on it was that reishi with kava was powerful. Powerful in that subtle way that both kava and reishi are on their own.

Im really glad you posted this. As i said i never really mixed the two but this post spurred me to and now im glad i did.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I can attest to the power of reishi also. It combined with kava is great. The thing I noticed though is that reishi is pretty powerful when you first take it, but then you aren't as aware of the effects when yoh take it everyday, like I do. The effects are still there but you just notice when you stop. Same goes for lions mane. I'm guessing you might not notice the kava-reishi effect if you keep reishi as a regular thing.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
I'll have to try the Reishi again. I bought the same Four Sigmatic tea but it didn't seem to have any effect in helping for sleep.

Hightide

Kava Enthusiast
I'll have to try the Reishi again. I bought the same Four Sigmatic tea but it didn't seem to have any effect in helping for sleep.
Not sure how true this is, but i've heard that a lot of mushrooms on the market are mostly mycellium and not the actual mushroom. Could be why there was no effect? https://www.realmushrooms.com this company apparently sells powder of the actual fruiting body

Halibut_Acid

Krunkadelic
Not sure how true this is, but i've heard that a lot of mushrooms on the market are mostly mycellium and not the actual mushroom. Could be why there was no effect? https://www.realmushrooms.com this company apparently sells powder of the actual fruiting body
I can also recommend realmushrooms.com their extracts are the highest quality I've had. They source from Nammex. Another vendor that sources from Nammex and has high quality mushroom extracts is Nootropics Depot. They have an 8:1 reishi as well as a co2 reishi spore oil that is very powerful. I do not use mushroom extracts from anyone else.

Reishi has been described as "instant meditation." I notice that it's effect profile includes less REM sleep, similar to canbis. The theory behind canbis is that you spend most of your day in a restorative REM type state-- so this matches that.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Most of the USA and probably elsewhere has reishi growing in the forests. Easy to identify, easy to dry for later use, large quantities grow on a single tree sometimes… you can do a slow cooker tea or an alcohol tincture, and the pups (size of a thumb) are great. if you just chew on em for a few minutes, you’ll get a lot of bitter medicinal goodness.

my opinion on the mental effects: it’s in the same intensity realm of things like chamomile, ginseng, or maca. It’s definitely there, but it’s up to you to make the most of it. Lately I have been thinking of these kind of things as 50% mindfulness/intention and 50% biochemical.