What's new

Kava dermo finally clearing up. Here's whats helping

Michael1011

Kava Curious
You're probably sick of seeing posts from me, just kidding, but really I've made a few posts about derma/rash popping up. Lately I've gotten it under control and it seems to be getting better each day and I have gotten back to my regular desired dose. First of all I use 12-18 tablespoons of medium grind waka. For every 3-5 tablespoons is a rinse in approx 28-33 oz of water in a small mixing bowl. I drink 3-5 of those a night and they're very potent. I cut back/halved that dose for three days and it got worse, red burning shoulders, flakes, torso, scaly arms and hands and even a bit of a rash. Here's what I am doing now, without cutting back or even switching.

*Eating way more calories. I eat a lot more fats, including coconut oil and grass fed butter.
*Drinking a lot of water, before, during and after. The reason the dreaded kava derm caught up to me was I wasn't drinking electrolytes after. Throughout summer I was drinking mineral water with and after my rinses. Having started doing this again has really helped and above all,
*Lathering up with the right lotion.

Redness is going down, irritation as well and my skin is smoother then it has been in weeks.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I only get the dermo on my hands in the and often annoyingly in my nose in the winter, I just become more prone to it from the cold air. Also doesn't help that kava acts as as a nasal constrictor for me sometimes. Summer and Spring I never have these issues and all yeah the rest of my body is pretty smooth. Kava and cold weather don't mix too well for me. But my diet is high fat and I would say medium carb. I certainly don't consume the upper end of what people who are on a high carb diet do wherever I'm at and I really cut down on how much bread I was having. I pack most of my nutrients outside of breakfast into a dinner of mixed veggies, rice, and saffron. Lotion doesn't seem to do much for my hands but shea butter seems to do the best that can be done. The only thing I should get more of it electrolytes and see how much that benefits me.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
I've actually increased my dosage. I can't believe what a difference just drinking more water is making. I like to drink mineral enriched water. Last night I drank lots of mineral water, coconut water, and cow's milk between each session and lately I've been taking a fat tablespoon of coconut oil every morning. Plus I slap on lots of lotion right after my showers. Its been doing the job.

I'm going out of town after the holiday and I was planning on stopping kava for the week. I might bring a little bit for just one night or as a backup in case I can't sleep, lol.

AZcat

Kava Drinker
You're probably sick of seeing posts from me, just kidding, but really I've made a few posts about derma/rash popping up. Lately I've gotten it under control and it seems to be getting better each day and I have gotten back to my regular desired dose. First of all I use 12-18 tablespoons of medium grind waka. For every 3-5 tablespoons is a rinse in approx 28-33 oz of water in a small mixing bowl. I drink 3-5 of those a night and they're very potent. I cut back/halved that dose for three days and it got worse, red burning shoulders, flakes, torso, scaly arms and hands and even a bit of a rash. Here's what I am doing now, without cutting back or even switching.

*Eating way more calories. I eat a lot more fats, including coconut oil and grass fed butter.
*Drinking a lot of water, before, during and after. The reason the dreaded kava derm caught up to me was I wasn't drinking electrolytes after. Throughout summer I was drinking mineral water with and after my rinses. Having started doing this again has really helped and above all,
*Lathering up with the right lotion.

Redness is going down, irritation as well and my skin is smoother then it has been in weeks.
I have developed a rash on my left elbow, but I think its Eczema because I have had that all my life. Its a genetic problem which appears when I am emotionally upset. For this reason I doubt its caused by the Kava.

Michael1011

Kava Curious
My hands have been getting a little yellow where the dry dead skin is but I don't think this is cause for alarm yet. I'll be keeping an eye on it

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
My hands have been getting a little yellow where the dry dead skin is but I don't think this is cause for alarm yet. I'll be keeping an eye on it
Take some milk thistle and see if it helps. Third party testing says Jarrow formula is a good brand.
First thing in the morning when you wake up before coffee or anything else, chug two large cups of room temperature water. You know those large plastic ice tea cups? That's the size I'm talking about. If you drink coffee, do this before coffee, perhaps while it's brewing. I personally need around six of these large cups of water per day on average.