What's new

Kava Dermopathy

Hi Kava Forums! Glad to finally be a member here after browsing for a few weeks.

For context: So far I've only used Micronized from Kalm With Kava, and have used both the Vanuatu Borogu and the Fiji Loa Waka varieties. I'm a newbie to Kava, as I only started ~6 weeks ago. I didn't have full blown reverse tolerance to start, but only recently have I started to get the full effects from Kava. But I love the effects so far, been great for anxiety and relaxing at night. I have been using 5-6 nights a week and using approximately 2-5 tablespoons of micronized per night (average being probably somewhere in between those two).

However, last night, I stated realizing my forehead had some pretty dry skin all of a sudden. Nothing crazy, and it's not yet visible unless you look very closely in a mirror, but I can feel it to the touch and when I wrinkle my brow it has started to hurt a little bit. It doesn't look at all like the "rash" I see in pictures online for Kava dermopathy, but it certainly feels very dry and there is very mild skin flaking if you look closely in the mirror at the affected area. As far as I can tell, I don't have any dry skin elsewhere on my body.

What I was wondering was, in your experience does this sound like the beginning of dermopathy? Should I cut back on consumption for a bit? Or do you think it's more likely that this is just due to cold weather? (I do get dry skin from the cold and it just started getting much colder where I live, however I can't remember ever having gotten noticeably dry skin on my forehead, usually just a little on my hands and lips).

Thanks!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hi Kava Forums! Glad to finally be a member here after browsing for a few weeks.

For context: So far I've only used Micronized from Kalm With Kava, and have used both the Vanuatu Borogu and the Fiji Loa Waka varieties. I'm a newbie to Kava, as I only started ~6 weeks ago. I didn't have full blown reverse tolerance to start, but only recently have I started to get the full effects from Kava. But I love the effects so far, been great for anxiety and relaxing at night. I have been using 5-6 nights a week and using approximately 2-5 tablespoons of micronized per night (average being probably somewhere in between those two).

However, last night, I stated realizing my forehead had some pretty dry skin all of a sudden. Nothing crazy, and it's not yet visible unless you look very closely in a mirror, but I can feel it to the touch and when I wrinkle my brow it has started to hurt a little bit. It doesn't look at all like the "rash" I see in pictures online for Kava dermopathy, but it certainly feels very dry and there is very mild skin flaking if you look closely in the mirror at the affected area. As far as I can tell, I don't have any dry skin elsewhere on my body.

What I was wondering was, in your experience does this sound like the beginning of dermopathy? Should I cut back on consumption for a bit? Or do you think it's more likely that this is just due to cold weather? (I do get dry skin from the cold and it just started getting much colder where I live, however I can't remember ever having gotten noticeably dry skin on my forehead, usually just a little on my hands and lips).

Thanks!
Yeah, it's probably dermo. I think to a certain extent if all you drink is micro, which is after all just toss n' wash that went to grad school, dermo is inevitable. You do have options. You could just suffer, especially if it progresses. Or cut back, or cut off, or switch to regular grog, or go to instant, or drink with lots of ice cubes and drink extra water, eat coconut oil, lotion up, etc. There's really a range of options based on what you feel you want or need. No reason to freak out but now is a good time to start thinking about what you want.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Welcome! Definitely increase your water intake during your non kava hours. I find chugging room temperature filtered water in the morning works best for me.

Consider switching up your chemotypes if switching to traditional grog or instant doesn't help.

If you use moisturizer on your face, try mixing in a drop or two of vitamin E oil into it. It's like a luscious waterfall on your skin.