What's new

Kava dermopathy

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
It's mostly just from consumption, but many of us note aged looking hands and wear latex/nitrile gloves while kneaded. I stopped because I didn't notice much difference.

Jana

Kava Enthusiast
The dermo got me on my both hands. It's actually worse on my hands than any other place. It's peeling. Mostly the fingers, not the palms of the hands. They're just now *starting* to clear up. I'm not sure what makes different people more susceptible to dermopathy, but I tend to have a drier skin type anyway and had not been in the habit of using moisturizers/lotions before starting Kava anyway (and I live in Phoenix, AZ). Perhaps it is just something you'll have to experiment with, and if you find that you start getting dry/flaky/peeling hands, it might be worth a shot to give those gloves a try like Shakas mentioned. I've never used gloves before so I can't vouch for it personally but I do plan on trying it the next time I get some Kava to prepare traditionally. The only locations I've gotten dermopathy at are on my right cheek, the corners of my mouth, the creases where my my arm and torso meet (the outer armpit area/the front of the shoulder near the breast), and not ON the armpit, but a bit behind it. More near the shoulder blade.

Funnily enough, we have glands under our arms, and also in our hands. I've seen a lot of people saying they get dermo under their arms. However, I have seen pictures of full-body dermopathy and doesn't look anything like the kind of dermopathy I get.

http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/dermopathy-contest-whos-had-the-worst.1807/

You can get an example of what some people have experienced on this thread and the kind of dermo you might be in for (if you haven't already ;) ). I also find it interesting that many of the locations people have dermopathy at are places where lymph nodes are located.

lymph-nodes.jpg

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Yeah if you already did the "damage " then gloves might not seem to make a difference for a while .
Idk if they will but yeah I got dermo first on my hands and realized it was because I was using gloves .
Diet makes a huge difference lol if only we were a research group who wrote our diets hahah then we could see who's getting dermo and who's not and a connection.
I swear yerba helps with dermo I had like none then I stopped drinking it again because I ran out lmao . And it's back tI normal

BurningFish

Kava Curious
I really appreciate how active this community is. I did not expect this level of help. I've only been using kava since Monday so luckily I have no rash yet.
I'll definitely be more careful in the future as I did not realise that it could affect the face which really bothers me. I guess it is gloves all the way from now on!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Well I got dermo on my hands, and I have never done traditional prep....I also got it on the corners of my lips, sides of my abdomen and upper back. A few days off seemed to be just the ticket to clear it up, and so far has not come back. I have upped my oils, fats, and cholesterol intake and it seems to also help. YMMV.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Micro is just known to be a big chance of dermo . Odd that it hit your hands without prep being the initial fire starter but maybe your hands just don't get alot of the oils or you wash them alot. That's my issue I do dishes aloooot.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Micro is just known to be a big chance of dermo . Odd that it hit your hands without prep being the initial fire starter but maybe your hands just don't get alot of the oils or you wash them alot. That's my issue I do dishes aloooot.
Could also be the upstate NY winter weather. Rough on the skin all around. Now that we are finally getting some more sun the dermo has gotten less.

EQ

Atman
Could also be the upstate NY winter weather. Rough on the skin all around. Now that we are finally getting some more sun the dermo has gotten less.
Wash your hands often?

I ask because before Kava I'd get cracked eczema hands from washing my hands with hot water.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Changed from my usual roots to some suspected "day and a half kava" got full cut two days in a row with it, and wouldn't you know it... i got a stye on my eyelid.