What's new

Kava disease please help

Lukie

Kava Curious
So I have had this disease on and off. I did spray with a fungicide and it seemed to clear up a little. I just transplanted and now it's back quick bad and many leaves and black or with black spots. I have insects under control and I sprayed again but it doesn't seem to help much.

Anyone know what to spray or what to do? I am using neem and a 3 in 1 bacterial, fungicide and insecticide at the moment safe for food.
kava disease.jpg

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
It doesn't look like fungal or pest damage to me. Maybe burning from overfertilizing or just transplant shock.

Lukie

Kava Curious
It doesn't look like fungal or pest damage to me. Maybe burning from overfertilizing or just transplant shock.
I think I will just leave it then. It has tons of organic fertilizer in there. Do they actually need much? The ferts I used are 20 kg marine animal phosphate 0-20-0 with minerals and a organic compost analysis 3-3-4 also 20 kg mixed with river sand, perlite and hardwood wood chips for a 200 gallon pot. Its about 1/2 rich river loam soil the other half the amendments.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
So I have had this disease on and off. I did spray with a fungicide and it seemed to clear up a little. I just transplanted and now it's back quick bad and many leaves and black or with black spots. I have insects under control and I sprayed again but it doesn't seem to help much.

Anyone know what to spray or what to do? I am using neem and a 3 in 1 bacterial, fungicide and insecticide at the moment safe for food. View attachment 12226
Have you examined the underside of the leaves? The turning down of the upper portion makes me think there may be a tiny sucking critter underneath.
When my plants get mites or thrips the same blotching and burning appears .

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Have you examined the underside of the leaves? The turning down of the upper portion makes me think there may be a tiny sucking critter underneath.
When my plants get mites or thrips the same blotching and burning appears .
Is that a common problem for you guys in the Pacific growing regions? With temperatures being milder, I would think there would be more insects.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Is that a common problem for you guys in the Pacific growing regions? With temperatures being milder, I would think there would be more insects.
Here the most common pests on 'awa are-- red spider mites, thrips, and aphids. All stay under the leaves. By the way the most published 'awa research pathologist- Dr. Scot Nelson recently passed away. He was like only late 50's, very sad. He did the pests and disease section of the Hawaiian 'awa book and much,much more. Sad loss.
You can google Scot Nelson plant pathologist and see many of his contributuions. This link below may also work.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Here the most common pests on 'awa are-- red spider mites, thrips, and aphids. All stay under the leaves. By the way the most published 'awa research pathologist- Dr. Scot Nelson recently passed away. He was like only late 50's, very sad. He did the pests and disease section of the Hawaiian 'awa book and much,much more. Sad loss.
You can google Scot Nelson plant pathologist and see many of his contributuions. This link below may also work.

Tonight's shells are in honor of his memory.

Klaus Dragull Jim Henderson Mel C. Jackson Ed Johnston Jerry Konanui G. David Lin Kepā Maly Scot Nelson Jeri Ooka Tom Osborn Helen Rogers Chung-Shih Tang. 2006. Hawaiian ‘Awa Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure. Edited by Ed Johnston and Helen Rogers. Association for Hawaiian ‘Awa.
http://www.awadevelopment.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/awabook-web-part-1-of-2.pdf

Lukie

Kava Curious
Yes I had aphids and spider mites but I have been regularly spraying with neem oil every few days and every week with something stronger that is systemic although I have stopped that now as told its not approved.. - I hear diazon is used however, malation is what I use on my cacao - If what I spray doesn't kill everything and they keep coming back every so many days I don't know what to do. I also moved it away from the veg garden and into the seedling nursery which should have less pests.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Yes I had aphids and spider mites but I have been regularly spraying with neem oil every few days and every week with something stronger that is systemic although I have stopped that now as told its not approved.. - I hear diazon is used however, malation is what I use on my cacao - If what I spray doesn't kill everything and they keep coming back every so many days I don't know what to do. I also moved it away from the veg garden and into the seedling nursery which should have less pests.
I found that the neem oil I'm using on my 'awa was burning the leaves. I found two things to help:
A) Only spray neem on at night, because the sunlight mixed with neem caused burning
B) Dilute the neem more than it says

My red spider mites are gone, but my leaves are still recovering from the neem. My plant is indoors though, so I don't have as big of an issue with the bugs. Good luck!