What's new

Kava- Dopamine Antagonism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/2624517

Idk where to put this but I want people to see it so that they might be able to provide some input. I wish I knew whether or not the heavier dopamine antagonism from the lipid extract was just because of greater bioavailability or if there's actually something besides the well known kavalactones that is more fat soluble.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, another study alludes to the possibility that the aqueous extract is free of kavalactones. :bored:
This study doesn't specify that though.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/2624517

Idk where to put this but I want people to see it so that they might be able to provide some input. I wish I knew whether or not the heavier dopamine antagonism from the lipid extract was just because of greater bioavailability or if there's actually something besides the well known kavalactones that is more fat soluble.
From just reading the Abstract, I would add, as an explanation, a separate quote from separate study by kava Researcher Dr. Amanda Martin (formerly University Minnesota) - "It's not necessarily that more is better. What you're looking for is the right amount. And with kava an aqueous solution produces the right amount". Also, the noted kava/cancer prevention Researcher, Dr.Chengguo Xing says- "We noticed that the commercial preparation of 'awa has quite a different composition compared to the traditionally prepared water mix or coconut water mix". These quotes would seem to support that daily consumption offers "just enough" . Concentrated, fragmented preparations might be good for other health issues, but not in my opinion.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Ah, another study alludes to the possibility that the aqueous extract is free of kavalactones. :bored:
This study doesn't specify that though.
I doubt that the aqueous would be free of KL. A pretty good list of "ingredients" in kava/'awa beverage is on page 63 of Hawaiian 'Awa, Views of an Ethnobotanical Treasure "Composition of 'Awa". Add to that other non-kavalactone components found in aqueous kava such as cinnamic acid and it is easy to support Dr. Helen Turner's "entourage effect" to support the consumption of traditional kava/'awa beverage.

Blinkyrocket

Kava Enthusiast
I dislike my view of kava right now, as the way it has affected me. However, if I can change my view of kava I won't dislike it anymore. There's something about the vision of kava that appeals to me enough to try and figure out how I can realize that vision. What changed my mind about kava was the hope given to me by Thymoquinone from Nigella Sativa oil. I haven't received it from Amazon yet but it's a NOS inhibitor, and one of the main things NOS does is break down dopamine, but even if that's not why kava made me feel bad, there are other benefits to Thymoquinone that would help. So, I'm gonna try it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.