What's new

News Article Kava drug trial has its critics - including in the Territory | Katherine Times

• Thread starter Google Alert - Piper Methysticum
  • Start date
G

Google Alert - Piper Methysticum

Kava is produced from the roots of the Piper methysticum shrub, also called the native pepper bush, and there is a suggestion if the trial is ...

Continue reading...

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Ah Google, always bringing home the worst articles. Never ceases to amaze me how uninformed or unresearched these articles are presented as facts.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Ah Google, always bringing home the worst articles. Never ceases to amaze me how uninformed or unresearched these articles are presented as facts.
While this article makes me see red, I'm glad google caught this specific one.

This highlights the misunderstanding of kava at the core, saying it's addictive and dangerous. Standard fare for people who don't understand.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
While this article makes me see red, I'm glad google caught this specific one.

This highlights the misunderstanding of kava at the core, saying it's addictive and dangerous. Standard fare for people who don't understand.
I know you'll do justice with the misinformation but boy it sure does piss one off huh?

Frankly it feels like fear mongering at its best. One of many exaggerated examples of fake news to confuse the public in a way that benefits some other group of people.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I know you'll do justice with the misinformation but boy it sure does piss one off huh?

Frankly it feels like fear mongering at its best. One of many exaggerated examples of fake news to confuse the public in a way that benefits some other group of people.
All you have to do is read these two papers. It's where everyone gets their "evidence of harms" about kava from. Even this google result goes back to Mathews flawed conclusions. I believe, after all my research so far, that the core of the problem with society and kava draws back to these two studies and the horribly documented adverse reports of the early 2000s.

Butt, Julia. 2019. Kava Usage in Aboriginal and Pacific Islander Communities in Australia. National Drug Research Institute.

and

Mathews, J. D., M. D. Riley, L. Fejo, E. Munoz, N. R. Milns, I. D. Gardner, J. R. Powers, E. Ganygulpa, and B. J. Gununuwawuy. 1988. “Effects of the Heavy Usage of Kava on Physical Health: Summary of a Pilot Survey in an Aboriginal Community.” The Medical Journal of Australia 148 (11): 548–55. https://sci-hub.se/10.5694/j.1326-5377.1988.tb93809.x

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I believe, after all my research so far, that the core of the problem with society and kava draws back to these two studies and the horribly documented adverse reports of the early 2000s.
It makes me wonder when the tipping point will come, if ever.

I would think that once new studies become available disproving previous research, that in the very least these sources would (SHOULD) be updated, if not removed all together. It feels that it is purposefully glorified, regardless of your efforts and the efforts of others, such as Dr. Lebot.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
All you have to do is read these two papers. It's where everyone gets their "evidence of harms" about kava from. Even this google result goes back to Mathews flawed conclusions. I believe, after all my research so far, that the core of the problem with society and kava draws back to these two studies and the horribly documented adverse reports of the early 2000s.

Butt, Julia. 2019. Kava Usage in Aboriginal and Pacific Islander Communities in Australia. National Drug Research Institute.

and

Mathews, J. D., M. D. Riley, L. Fejo, E. Munoz, N. R. Milns, I. D. Gardner, J. R. Powers, E. Ganygulpa, and B. J. Gununuwawuy. 1988. “Effects of the Heavy Usage of Kava on Physical Health: Summary of a Pilot Survey in an Aboriginal Community.” The Medical Journal of Australia 148 (11): 548–55. https://sci-hub.se/10.5694/j.1326-5377.1988.tb93809.x
Here is a possible path.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
It makes me wonder when the tipping point will come, if ever.

I would think that once new studies become available disproving previous research, that in the very least these sources would (SHOULD) be updated, if not removed all together. It feels that it is purposefully glorified, regardless of your efforts and the efforts of others, such as Dr. Lebot.
Oh you're absolutely right about that. Those two paper demonize the absolute crap out of kava. The problem is that people still believe Dr. Mathews and cite his work as cannon today, even after he disclaimed "As this health survey was conducted in an Aboriginal community, a high level of morbidity from causes other than kava was noted." That right there should have raised a million red flags to subsequent researchers.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Something awful. Is that man not ashamed to sign this with his name?
Agreed, and look at that picture caption: "A drug which is smuggled into remote communities despite a police crackdown is being allowed free access to Australia under a Pacific goodwill trial." Don't they all just look strung out and addicted :LOL:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I also love how they state "Altered liver function" all dramatically. What they're actually talking about is increase in GGT that are NOT coupled with any increases in AST/ALT. Again suggesting adaptation and not hepatocellular damage.

Szafirek

Kava Curious
Agreed, and look at that picture caption: "A drug which is smuggled into remote communities despite a police crackdown is being allowed free access to Australia under a Pacific goodwill trial." Don't they all just look strung out and addicted :LOL:
That could explain a lot :)

"2 / 3 free articles remaining | For Unlimited Access Subscribe" - thank you very much, after reading the first article I am not interested :LOL: