What's new

Kava = dry mouth ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
If it dries skin, I wonder if it could be connected to this issue I've been having.
My mouth gets severely dry, so bad that I have to swish water around it frequently.
But it only happens at night. I don't know if that would rule out kava as the culprit. ( I drink kava different times during the day and not just before bed)
But I have ruled out anything and everything in my environment, or allergies, because it happens even when I sleep in a completely different location, hundreds of miles away.
But I have to get out of bed multiple times a night to hydrate my mouth, and it's really disturbing my sleep
And another similar symptom began, that I assume is connected. During the night and when waking up, I get a heavy buildup of mucus in my throat.
It's so bad that I hack and choke sometimes to clear it out. And causes me to cough at night.
I sleep normally on my back, so I don't think it's because of how I'm positioned when breathing.
It's been going on for over a year too.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
If it dries skin, I wonder if it could be connected to this issue I've been having.
My mouth gets severely dry, so bad that I have to swish water around it frequently.
But it only happens at night. I don't know if that would rule out kava as the culprit. ( I drink kava different times during the day and not just before bed)
But I have ruled out anything and everything in my environment, or allergies, because it happens even when I sleep in a completely different location, hundreds of miles away.
But I have to get out of bed multiple times a night to hydrate my mouth, and it's really disturbing my sleep
And another similar symptom began, that I assume is connected. During the night and when waking up, I get a heavy buildup of mucus in my throat.
It's so bad that I hack and choke sometimes to clear it out. And causes me to cough at night.
I sleep normally on my back, so I don't think it's because of how I'm positioned when breathing.
It's been going on for over a year too.
Are you drinking enough water? Covid? Flu? Do you smoke?....There are too many variables but it is likely the Kava's dehydrating effect.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
The only thing there that would apply to me, is not drinking enough water.
I need to be more persistent about that
I now keep a case of Poland Spring right next to the kava for that very reason. I was/am also terrible at maintaining proper hydration. I have managed to wipe out a lot more problems that I thought were associated to other things as well, just by drinking more water daily. When I drink kava now, I keep a bottle of PS right next to me and even though it's weird, I chug a little water right after every sip of kava.

Another wonderful habit I've begun to develop is chugging one bottle (500ml) first thing in the morning, everyday.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I now keep a case of Poland Spring right next to the kava for that very reason. I was/am also terrible at maintaining proper hydration. I have managed to wipe out a lot more problems that I thought were associated to other things as well, just by drinking more water daily. When I drink kava now, I keep a bottle of PS right next to me and even though it's weird, I chug a little water right after every sip of kava.

Another wonderful habit I've begun to develop is chugging one bottle (500ml) first thing in the morning, everyday.
Thanks. Great suggestions.
I also learned the importance of getting enough minerals and electrolytes, which also are a big part of hydration, in addition to simply water.